Know your rights . allotment act 1950 keeping chickens

• 45 Replies

pepsi100

Re: Know your rights . allotment act 1950 keeping chickens
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 16:40 »
Oh, just asking  :)

You wouldnt be woken up by mine at 4;30, he never shows up till 5 am, has a crow then goes back to bed (I have watched him, not quite what I expected when I got him)

Thats why my neighbours were surprised when I said I had one, it seems no one hears him, just me  ;)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 16:54 »
I hear a muffled crow from mine at 5:30 as he is housed in an eglu classic which he dutifully struts in to without any fuss on a night.   :lol:  The others that had too much attitude were very tasty.

One of our neighbours has a cockerel (think it is a silkie) and it has a piercing crow, my cockerel sounds as if he smokes 50 a day. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 16:58 »
I think you might have my one's brother

He sort of creep's out, raises his head, coughs, crow's once, then goes back in, he dont even take notice of the porridge or cabbage I have put out for 'em :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 17:01 by pepsi100 »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 18:45 »

He sort of creep's out, raises his head, coughs, crow's once, then goes back in, he dont even take notice of the porridge or cabbage I have put out for 'em :)

If he is a young handsome devil of a bantam cockerel then you're probably right.  Well that's what he thinks anyway.   :lol:

pepsi100

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 18:52 »

If he is a young handsome devil of a bantam cockerel then you're probably right.  Well that's what he thinks anyway.   :lol:

Ah, no, mine is a big Light Sussex, and just not very vocal, Bantams always have something to prove, they maybe small, but have a helluva crow on them  :)

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 20:16 »
Our house is ex council and our deeds (from when the house was first sold to previous owners) state that we cannot keep any animals or birds (it also said that we are not allowed to park a vehicle on the land, yet all the houses now have drives with cars parked on them). Our area used to be part of Warwickshire (the deeds are Warwickshire) but now we come under Birmingham. I contacted Birmingham council and they said the deeds were out of date and it wasn't a problem to keep hens. Our neighbours have dogs that yap ALL DAY LONG.....so they can't really moan about our hens!!
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

pepsi100

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 20:33 »
Our house is ex council and our deeds (from when the house was first sold to previous owners) state that we cannot keep any animals or birds (it also said that we are not allowed to park a vehicle on the land, yet all the houses now have drives with cars parked on them). Our area used to be part of Warwickshire (the deeds are Warwickshire) but now we come under Birmingham. I contacted Birmingham council and they said the deeds were out of date and it wasn't a problem to keep hens. Our neighbours have dogs that yap ALL DAY LONG.....so they can't really moan about our hens!!

My house is ex council as well, our flat was ex council before we bought this one,

I never had problems with our council about keeping hens or cockerels, they have even told other people that hens are allowed (AND cockerels) I have never heard of anyone being told they have to get rid of them

I dont know how true it is, but I was told, every sixth house on our estate had to have hens and supply others with eggs at a nominal cost in exchange for scraps (I wish, the law dont allow that any more)

(I wonder what a 'nominal charge would be ?)

This sounds like a hang over from the war, because so much has changed, but I have had a councilor come round and have a look around, he went away happy (I can only assume this as I never heard from them again)

Yes we do have the yapping/barking dogs and they have had the abatement letters, but I dont think the dogs read them

The council has trapped all the feral cats now and have cleared out a lot of the rats and burrows (after they were found on the 4th floor of a block of flats  ;) )

snowdrops

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 20:59 »
Just to clarify my agreement with our local council was that they could not prevent me from keeping hens but i did agree not to keep any cock birds on the understanding that i could have any number of chickens i wish within reason .

Yes you do have to abide by the enviromental rules on keeping chickens noise, vermin, and cleaning . ect but after saying that i agree with some posts that comment on dogs noise !

If you are a property owner you can have whatever you like on your own property but still have to abide by the enviroment rules.

thank you folks for all your replies

There's a clause on our house deeds ( a covenant?) that says we can't keep chickens.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

pepsi100

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 21:04 »
Could it be changed ? (could you keep pea hens instead ? :)

snowdrops

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 21:06 »
No livestock,our old house deeds said no pigs lol

pepsi100

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 21:13 »

Parrot ? Guniea pig ? Rabbits ?  small children ? :) (big kids are too much trouble, anyway  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 21:18 »

Parrot ? Guniea pig ? Rabbits ?  small children ? :) (big kids are too much trouble, anyway  ;)
2 kids were enough  :lol: we did have chickens at the old house for a while,that's why I asked specifically when we were signing for the new house.

hamstergbert

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 21:19 »
There's a clause on our house deeds ( a covenant?) that says we can't keep chickens.
To re-iterate what has already been pointed out many times - no proscriptive covenant on deeds can overrule an explicit permissive entitlement established through act of parliament.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

pepsi100

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 21:24 »
Well, its back on topic now, I think (in my opinion) everyone should be alloweed to keep what they like as long as they are kept clean, well fed and are happy

But within reason, keeping a cow in a flat isnt really ideal, (but a bloke over the road has a 6 foot crocodile in his bathroom and 2 pythons, but they arent livestock, they are pets  :) )

snowdrops

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 21:27 »
Well, its back on topic now, I think (in my opinion) everyone should be alloweed to keep what they like as long as they are kept clean, well fed and are happy

But within reason, keeping a cow in a flat isnt really ideal, (but a bloke over the road has a 6 foot crocodile in his bathroom and 2 pythons, but they arent livestock, they are pets  :) )
Does he poke them with a stick ( said in Aussie accent)

xx
Problems with keeping Chickens on an allotment (law)

Started by val3147 on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 16:48
by Aunt Sally
xx
keeping chickens

Started by tomtomgo44 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 10:10
by poultrygeist
xx
Keeping chickens

Started by apples6903 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 17:39
by ManicMum
xx
new to keeping chickens

Started by Sue33 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 11:26
by matilda duck

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 38 queries.