Sweetcorn

• 29 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 21:04 »
I've been using F1 Swift and was quite happy with it until folk started talking about 3 cobs per plant

honeymelon

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 21:51 »
my sweetcorns are disater this year, mostly started flower when the plants are only 70cm tall. If I can get any cobs that I am lucky.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 21:52 by honeymelon »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 22:30 »
my sweetcorns are disater this year, mostly started flower when the plants are only 70cm tall. If I can get any cobs that I am lucky.

Mine were a lot shorter this year (about 1m-1m 20) but normally a old taller. They have cobs in them that are bulking up nicely now though so you might be lucky...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 17:42 »
In about 20 years of growing different varieties of sweetcorn here, despite high hopes that a few plants would produce more than 1 good quality cob, it's only actually happened a couple of times (I don't mean a couple of years, I mean a couple of plants!  ::))

They often look as if they are up for producing as many as 3 cobs, so whether it's a matter of poor pollination or just running out of summer (or both) I don't really know - I'm just grateful for whatever I do get because I just LURRV home grown sweet corn.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 18:30 »
Yes, I get what could be the start of extra cobs ie silks but like yours, they run out of summer

honeymelon

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 22:04 »

Mine were a lot shorter this year (about 1m-1m 20) but normally a old taller. They have cobs in them that are bulking up nicely now though so you might be lucky...

Thanks RJR, I might get very small cobs, this is the first bad year ever, they were normally quiet good.

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 20:30 »
 Picked one of the cobs today, cooked it and it did taste nice and sweet,  but my pea crop was rubbish, and my onions,, garlic was ok runner beans i did try 3 types  and im over run with them, carrots and parsnips coming on,,, in the pipe line getting ready for 12x15ft poly tunnel and a 3x4mtr deck, and have 20mtrs of hedge dug out and replaced with 6ft feather edge fencing, no no no im not doing the work im just paying for it, and making tea. :) 
Colin

shazam21

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 00:29 »
I'm in Portsmouth and getting 2/3 cobs per plant... But we are shaded by...... IoW!! 😬
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 00:30 by shazam21 »

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 06:19 »
 I don't think so, if anything we are over looked by the  "Lipstick" and the "Spinnicker" i have to keep some of my curtains drawn,,,, :D :D ::) ::)

honeymelon

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 22:31 »
All of the allotment holder's sweet corn been destroyed by badges in a week's time ,very upsetting, poor plants been knocked off and eaten corns lying on the ground.   

lettice

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2016, 12:07 »
Picked first few cobs today of my Golden Bantam.
Always grows well for me.
Grow mine in raised beds around the garden. Hav this year done three sowings.
The first ones are now ready for picking and all have three cobs per plant.

sweetcorn (600 x 600).jpg

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 17:18 »
All of the allotment holder's sweet corn been destroyed by badges in a week's time ,very upsetting, poor plants been knocked off and eaten corns lying on the ground.

That happened here a few years ago, Honey!

They mashed everyone's crop - including ours, but as we'd wrongly bought the sort for stir-fry (yucch), we didn't really care...

Now they're all at home (the corn , not the badgers) and seven ft tall, and thinking of England - we hope..;0)

Headgardener22

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 17:31 »
I picked the first of my sweetcorn (lark) on Thursday. Moles seeds tell you how many cobs per plant but I've not seen any with more than two.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 19:50 »
Some produce 3 or more cobs, but you can't count them until you peel them - they might not be pollinated when you pull back the leaves.

I very rarely get more than 2 that are fully pollinated - some years it is only 1, and a bit if I'm lucky  ::)

honeymelon

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 22:58 »

That happened here a few years ago, Honey!

They mashed everyone's crop - including ours, but as we'd wrongly bought the sort for stir-fry (yucch), we didn't really care...

Now they're all at home (the corn , not the badgers) and seven ft tall, and thinking of England - we hope..;0)
Lucky you ,I can't grow them home as I often see badges in the garden at night.

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 10:55
by fatbelly
xx
sweetcorn

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 12:49
by beesrus
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by suecoops on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 23:03
by muntjac
xx
when should I sow sweetcorn?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 08:32
by Jonajo

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 36 queries.