Amber-links

• 15 Replies

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
Amber-links
« on: July 02, 2009, 21:13 »
Hello all,

I am looking to increase my girls and although I was after Marans I have been offered some Amber-links.
            I cant find any info on this breed and just know someone here can help  :D

Alby
wish I was a cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Amber-links
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 21:49 »
Have a chat with grannie annie on here, she usually has loads and can tell you all about them.
Annie are you there??  :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 22:12 »
They lay...and lay....and lay....and lay  :D

Big brown eggs every day and very few problems except our 6 tend to be very competitive which may be the way we keep them.

They pretty easy to look after if you can give them plenty of space.

Rob 8)

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 22:27 »
I did find mine were bullies though  >:(, only got 1 left now so no problem. Out of all my hens they are the most inquisitive and bravest even venturing into the house to nick ollie and charlies dry dog food (ollie is a neapolitan mastiff and charlie is a newfoundland gsd cross)  :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 22:36 »
That was what I meant by competitive but didn't want to put any bias against them  :D

I know Munty and Aggy's are getting on ok and a few others so there must be a secret to keeping them. :)

Ann will know what they need  :)

Rob 8)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:15 »
Hi all, I'm sorry not seen this one before, but it never came up in my unread posts bit!

I think the Amberlinks are too intelligent!  That's why some people have a few probs with them.  They need stimulation.  Was it you who said that too Joyfull?  I know someone did.  Apart from a bit of feather pecking, I've had no complaints from anyone, except when Joyfull said her 2 were little bullies.

As Rob said, they are very good layers, but like all hybrids, they won't live quite as long as pure breeds and because they seem to lay well through their first winter, and only slightly less in their second, they do run out of eggs quicker, especially when they keep laying double yolkers!!

We tend to get quite a bit of feather pecking from them as chicks, but once they are older they are usually fine.  I think that the traditional brooder space wasn't big enough for their inquisitive minds.  Now theyhae twice the space at first, then twice as much again after a week they are much better except yesterday when the brooder got too hot and they started pecking each other!  But they are fine again now.  One customers of ours loves them. He had 70 early last year, then he had 100 Babcocks which his wife said attack her, but no one else had that problem with the Babcocks, then last time he had 80 Ambers and 20 Goldlines and now he wants another 100 and as many as possible to be Amberlinks, so they are doing something right for one customer!!!

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 10:06 »
oh I agree they are super layers and I met a lady the other day who had two (amongst her 50 hens) and she said they are the softest hens of the lot. The one I have left is super - she's great with my youg chicks and even tries to mother them  :happy:
Marans lay really nice dark egg but may go broody wheras there is little chance of an amberlink doing that.

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 10:36 »
If you after the dark egg laying properties of the Marans but with an eye on a more commercial bird take a look at the speckledeys. They have Maran in the genetics but are better layers.  I'd never really seen any until last year when a customer asked me for some, since then I always keep a pen of them. Great characters and lay a lovely egg. Very laid back birds.

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 00:04 »
I just knew you would come up trumps,  :D  :D  :D

Keep you informed after I pick them up on Sunday.   Thanks folks.

Regards   Alby

bubs

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 18:36 »
i have got 8 amberlees or amberlinks and 4 warrens in the same shed , the amberlinks are really inquisitive and will go in your pockets if you stand still , but they do attack the warrens and regulary pluck the tail feathers off them but only 2 or 3 of the amberlinks does this. i will seperate the pluckers in the near future and hopefully cure the problem , one other thing the warrens eggs are a bigger egg but the birds are more nervous of me.

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 11:37 »
Got them today, and I forgot how little pol is  ???

Well ? What do you think of my new girls ?? !!!

Alby

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 11:54 »
Looking good. :D

Investigating the nest boxes. Always a good sign  :D

Rob 8)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 12:17 »
Soon made themselves cosy there Alby!  Hope they start laying for you soon, but most of our Ambers didn't start until at least 21 weeks, some up to 27 weeks, so don't be worried if they are a little late.  Once they start, they go on forever!!!  (well not quite but you know what I mean :D)

poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 12:39 »
And you need to go for the weight record.
Our biggest was 123g earlier this year. They never walk quite the same again  :blink:

Rob 8)

bubs

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 13:46 »
very nice alby but i stood my nest boxe's on the floor exactly like yours and the rats ate themselves through the side of the shed which was against a wall and they were under the nest box so i could not see the holes but the chickens would not lay until i figured something was not right i moved the nest box and there were about 6 holes in the shed ,i then lifted the box up on legs about 2ft  and eggs started to apear , my shed is wired underneath but they ate thru the side .
with wooden sheds make sure you can see the edges right around the inside of the floorspace if any rat holes appear then wire over them , rats can stop your chickens laying.

xx
Sex links

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 14:45
by GrannieAnnie
xx
When do Amber's start to lay?

Started by Starchicks on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 23:01
by Starchicks
xx
amber star/link/lee

Started by mumof4 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 14:16
by mumof4
xx
Silver Amber Link

Started by cammi on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 09:57
by cammi

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 31 queries.