Why aren't my bush tomatoes fruiting?

• 12 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Why aren't my bush tomatoes fruiting?
« on: July 25, 2011, 20:54 »
They've been planted out in a bed since May, have grown on well and are huge plants. They've produced loads and loads of flowers, but they just seem to be staying flowers forever and not turning into fruit. The tomatoes I've planted in pots and baskets (some the same varieties) on my patio all have fruit on them. So I guess this is down to warmth or ground conditions. They're in a raised bed, and did well in the next door, identical raised bed last year. They possibly have slightly less direct sunlight in this bed but on the other hand more shelter from any winds, etc. I feed those beds once a month with BFB. Not much point giving them tomato food if there's no fruit set on them.

Can anybody tell me the most likely cause of this? Anything I can do about it?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Why aren't my bush tomatoes fruiting?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 21:12 »
I would try the tomato food; it contains potash which stimulates flower growth.  I know it usually says don't start feeding until the first truss has set, but I'd give it a try.

I don't think they need the FBB every month.  There is the risk of too much nitrogen and leafy growth.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 22:27 »
OK, I'll give that a try.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 22:34 »
Have you tried 'misting' the flowers to get the fruit to set?  :)

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 22:46 »
Have you tried 'misting' the flowers to get the fruit to set?  :)

That works for me. I keep a cheap 99p wilko trigger spray in the greenhouse so the water is the same temp as the plants.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 06:36 »
Pollination doesn't seem to be the issue.

It's not as though the flowers are dropping off, they're just sittting there!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:13 »
Hi

I would say that it might not be anything that you are doing but the conditions this season. My tomato plants are much further behind from where they'd normally be this year... Like you say, very healthy and plenty of growth but not as many fruits. I have started feeding because there are some fruits and the feed should encourage more flowering. But for some reason I just think the weather hasn't been ideal for them - plus, you are close to me in Swindon as I'm in the Cotswolds.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:20 »
Pollination doesn't seem to be the issue.

It's not as though the flowers are dropping off, they're just sittting there!
Though it may still help.... nothing ventured, nothing gained n' all that...  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 09:21 »
Hi

I would say that it might not be anything that you are doing but the conditions this season. My tomato plants are much further behind from where they'd normally be this year... Like you say, very healthy and plenty of growth but not as many fruits. I have started feeding because there are some fruits and the feed should encourage more flowering. But for some reason I just think the weather hasn't been ideal for them - plus, you are close to me in Swindon as I'm in the Cotswolds.

Yes, that was my worry. If there's not even green tomatoes on them yet, I'm not optimistic that I'm going to get anything ripe from them at all. I don't think I'm going to get a single pepper from the outdoor plants either, they're way behind where they should be. My Gartenperle in baskets are cropping well, and some plants in pots on the patio have green tomatoes on them so I guess I'll get something from them. But I don't think I'm going to be making any passata this year :(

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:10 »
I've been growing toms for years with no problems but this year I've not eaten ONE single fruit. They are forming now but are still small and green, both indoors and out.

I think I will eventually get toms to eat but rather late in the day. I wouldn't give up on yours  :)

Springlands

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 10:44 »
We all need to hope for a good August and September to help those lazy tomatoes on.  :)

viettaclark

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 23:40 »
And pray to God, no blight yet. At least let some ripen!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 23:52 »
That's why I always like to grow some little cherry toms in baskets every year - no matter how bad the weather, they'll always be ready before anything else. I've been eating those for about 3 weeks now.

xx
My tomatoes aren't tasty!

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 22:47
by sclarke624
xx
bush tomatoes

Started by gladis on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 17:59
by DD.
xx
Bush Tomatoes

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 23:16
by noshed
xx
Controlling bush tomatoes

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 09:57
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 33 queries.