Should I be 'stopping' bush tomatoes?

• 2 Replies

matt80

Should I be 'stopping' bush tomatoes?
« on: July 05, 2010, 10:06 »
I've got Red Alert bush tomatoes on the patio and they've quite a few flowers and fruit now, but they're not showing any signs of stopping? Should I be limiting the number of trusses on each plant like you do with cordon tomatoes or should I just let them get on with it?
Thanks!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Should I be 'stopping' bush tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:08 »
I grew Red Alert last year and again this year and like yours they are pretty vigorous and also quite early; mine are half-in and half-out of a cold frame (i.e. top has been taken off!)

In theory you just let bush tomatoes get on with it, but I found firstly that mine needed all the fruiting stems supporting otherwise the weight snapped them off at the main stem (finished up looking like a Christmas tree!)

Secondly, there are limits as to how many fruits each plant can support through to ripening; towards the end of August I pinched out any new flowering shoots as I didn't think they had much chance of developing properly (poor plant was starting to look a bit knackered!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

purplebean

Re: Should I be 'stopping' bush tomatoes?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:59 »
same as Jay, I don't stop them until early September to try to get the plant to ripen what it has and you need to stake most stems otherwise disater will strike. But I find some bush types are incredibly prolific and definately worth growing, 70% of my toms this year are bush ones  :D

xx
Stopping tomatoes

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 17:17
by Ivor Backache
xx
Stopping of Tomatoes.

Started by Grasshopper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:31
by Kristen
xx
Stopping outdoor tomatoes

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 21:32
by adele
xx
bush tomatoes

Started by gladis on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 17:59
by DD.

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 37 queries.