Where can I get chickens from in North Liverpool???

• 14 Replies

susiepoos

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this site - I've been watching it now for a couple of weeks in preparation for getting some chickens. We've converted the childrens old playhouse/shed for them and added a run that is 8' x8' - all we need now is to find some chickens!!!! I'm going to visit the local animal rescue today as I believe they have chickens but do any of you out there know of anyone who sells chickens in the North Liverpool area/Southport/Ormskirk/Preston?

I've wanted to get chickens for a few years now and I'm really looking forward to it - I want 'friendly' chickens - I'm sure there all friendly but ones that don't mind being held or fussed over - what do you suggest?

Many thanks
Sue

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 12:17 »
This will give you lots of information about breeds

http://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/breeds.php?breed_type=Chickens

But you need to find a local supplier and see what breeds they have.

Light Sussex are nice and placid.

Buff Orpingtons are quiet too, but big !

Welsummers are nicd birds and excellent egg layers.

Meadowsweet varieties are good layers too.

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 13:21 »
dont expect chickens to allow you to pick them up and cuddle them 99% will want to get the hell away from you, you are a threat to them so they will avoid you they will associate you with food after a while and come to meet you at the gate but thats as far as it goes. the few that do like to be picked up have been hand feed and cuddled from day one or very near to day one and are usualy kept indavidualy or pairs not as a part of a flock.
watch this space now with people teling me how much snufles adores being cuddled.
99% of chickens dont like cuddles if yours does its in the 1% .
alan

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 15:06 »
I have two "pet" hens and I can verify that they don't like to be picked up, but it is essential to make them accept this though.  I give them a good look over each week to ensure they don't have any parasites or injuries and are not losing weight for some reason.  When I approach them they squat and wait for the inevitable.  

Some breeds are less timid than others and easier to habituate to this treatment.

susiepoos

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 16:09 »
Hi

Many thanks to everyone for getting back so soon. I've managed to find a poultry supplier in Tarleton which is about 20 miles away from me - Pimlotts Poultry - I've spoken to Karen and she couldn't be more helpful. I'm going to collect my chickens next Tuesday - can't wait!!!!! :D  :D  :D

What else do I need to know or need to do before thay arrive???? All help greatly received!!!!!

Sue

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 16:56 »
That's great news susiepoos.  What breed(s) are you getting ?

Fat Hen

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 19:31 »
If you want friendly chickens ie cuddly pets you cant beat Silkies &/or Sultans.  Mine are happy (even the cockerel - though at present he is none too well) to sit on the childrens lap & watch telly.  

Poor layers though so if your preference is for eggs then choose a cross breed.

susiepoos

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 22:05 »
Hi Aunt Sally

I'm going to have a look at some but they've got Ambers, Black Rock, Bluebelle and speckled sussexs - the pictures of Blubelles I've seen look quite cute - I'll just have to see when I get there.

Sue

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 16:53 »
What else do I need to know or need to do before thay arrive???? All help greatly received!!!!!

this is something you should have taken care of well before going to collect your hens not a couple of days before, everything should be ready first including and most importantly your basic knowledge of animal husbandry. sorry to sound off but its no good saying i didnt think cocks could crow so loudly when your neghbour has you by the throat at 4 in the morning.
read as much as you can and dont jump into something halfcocked and regret it later to the expence of the birds.
good luck
alan

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 17:01 »
I have to agree with you there Alan, though in a much more gently and kind way  :!:  

There is no substitue for being prepared of a new venture.  And if this forum can help by answering questions for the new keeper, so much the better.  Your 20 years plus experience and advice will be valuable to our members.  Hens are such interesting animals and anyone can keep them in their garden or field, but like any other animal they need the right kind of care and housing.

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 17:13 »
I have to agree with you there Alan, though in a much more gently and kind way.

you are quite right i know i am not the most tackfull of men and i do appologise if i come across a bit brash  i dont meen to offend or embaras anybody and my spelling is atrocase attrocise rubbish as well lol
i love helping people were ever i can and if you ask specific questions i will gladly answear if i can because even after 20 years i am not an expert.
good luck
alan

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 17:17 »
We can all learn no matter what our experience.  I've posted three stickies in this forum about chicken ailments.  I would be interested in you opinions on their content.

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 17:32 »
hi aunt i posted my opnion at what type of fle powder do i need.
did you know that bumble foot is the same as human scabies and is treated the same way ?
alan

susiepoos

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 08:16 »
Quote from: "alan42"

this is something you should have taken care of well before going to collect your hens not a couple of days before, everything should be ready first including and most importantly your basic knowledge of animal husbandry. sorry to sound off but its no good saying i didnt think cocks could crow so loudly when your neghbour has you by the throat at 4 in the morning.
read as much as you can and dont jump into something halfcocked and regret it later to the expence of the birds.
good luck
alan

Hi Alan

Maybe that comment didn't come over in writng exactly how it should. I've wanted to keep chickens for several years now and I am not taking this responsibility on lightly. I have had Gail Damerows book 'Storeys Guide to raising chickens' for a few years now in preparation for the day when I would be able to keep chickens and now is that time. I have had discussions with my vet so I really am not going into this blindly. I am buying from a reputable chicken breeder who has won several medals at shows. Not getting a cockerel as I only want layers and I am fully aware that they can make a bit of noise having spent many happy days on my Uncles farm as a child!!

My reason for asking for advice is quite simple - you can read as many books as you like but nothing replaces good old experience and common sense from people who are in the know - that's the whole idea of this site isn't it?? Everything is ready for their arrival - Please don't be concerned they will be well cared and provided for. When they are settled I'll try to upload some piccies just to reassure you.

Sue

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 13:07 »
i applogise if i ofended you i did not mean to and am sure you are and will be a great chicken keeper. if i can offer any advice feel free to ask.
the best of luck with your new birds.
alan

xx
North East Vet

Started by geordiechick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 11, 2011, 11:29
by DD.
xx
North west

Started by bibbyuk on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 15:37
by Roughlee Handled
xx
new run against north facing wall

Started by SUTTY1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 01, 2010, 09:11
by ehs284
xx
Geese in north wales?

Started by henny penny on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 20:03
by Bodger

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 39 queries.