Salsify.

• 10 Replies

radiohead

• Experienced Member
Salsify.
« on: February 27, 2011, 19:50 »
Hi all,
I'm going to try some salsify this season as by all accounts it is utterly delicous :).....any tips and tricks from those who have grown it before much appreciated!....(I,ve left a patch without manure as it is a root crop,is that a good idea?)

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
Re: Salsify.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 20:03 »
Ive not grown it before but i have my seeds ready to go :D .  From what i can remember from my research they need alot of room as the roots get alot bigger than a parsnip or carrot would.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 20:08 »
I've just ordered a packet from T&M as oddly none of my usual local seed stockists had any...I did read about the "crowbar" method....which involved punching a deep hole with said implement,filling it with compost and sowing a seed....apparently encourages nice long straight roots...Anyone tried that?

Nige2Plots

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 20:10 »
I tried to grow it last year with not much success. I'm trying again this year but in a raised bed with a soil/ compost mix.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 21:06 »
It's also known as the vegetable oyster, which is either good news or bad depending on your taste buds!

I think it's possibly an acquired taste; I didn't.  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 21:31 »
Don't let me deter you, but I've grown in once.  Skinny roots, hard to peel (easier to cook, and then peel), flavour was not significantly better than competitors (such as parsnip) and yield was pathetic compared to competitors (such as parsnip :) )

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 21:43 »
I'm with Kristen on this. Tried it last year and was disappointed.

It doesn't taste like oyster and takes up a lot of space for what you get. Stick with parsnips!!

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 07:27 »
Thanks for your thoughts....I'm going to try it anyway,just on one corner of the plot and see how it goes.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 07:51 »
Other folk here grow Salsify and love it - definitely worth growing once.  You might like to stick some Scorzonera in too and knock that one off in the same season! Along with Hamburg Parsley and Asparagus peas ...

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 08:51 »
I grew salsify last year, seemed straightforward. Grew next to rows of parsnip and scorzonera, in sandy, light, prepared soil, and did very well.

However, as others have said, not for me, not bothering again this year, I'll stick to parsnips!! More rewarding, easier prep. etc.

Good Luck!!

Phill  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:55 »
Other folk here grow Salsify and love it - definitely worth growing once.  You might like to stick some Scorzonera in too and knock that one off in the same season! Along with Hamburg Parsley and Asparagus peas ...

Oh Yes, Asparagus Peas!  A good choice for someone with imaginative taste buds and a very small appetite!  :lol:

(Of course I might have been unlucky........................)

xx
Salsify tip

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 21:33
by SUTTY1
xx
Salsify

Started by dickpiggot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 10:12
by ytyynycefn
xx
Salsify

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 05:17
by Growster...
xx
Salsify

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 11:06
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 36 queries.