Coop Floor

• 7 Replies

poppysmate

Coop Floor
« on: September 08, 2011, 13:16 »
New to all this, I've just purchased a Brahma Coop and it has a slatted floor (3 - 5mm gaps).  All other houses I looked at had solid floors.  I advised the supplier (P&T poultry) who were suprised and  said it should be solid.  When I sent photos they changed their mind and said it should be slatted.  When I originally suggested it should be solid they said no as it would warp.  After the photos they advised that I could use a board if I wished.  Is the floor ok or are they trying to cover an error?

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
Re: Coop Floor
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 13:22 »
I assume there are perches for the hens to roost?

The only issue i could see is that it may create problems when cleaning out?  Perhaps create a handy habitat for redmite to hide away?

I'm sure if there are any real  issues other will be along to advise. :D

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 16:03 »
We have a slatted floor for the base of our coop. The roost bars are higher up. Are the slats removable, ours lifts off and we have a removable tray underneath for cleaning. It appears to be much nicer as generally the chickens arent walking in their own poo, it falls through the slats.

poppysmate

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 22:04 »
I was concerned at the possibility of red mite as the gaps are so small and told the supplier so.  Really too small for anything to fall through but tight enough to fill with detritus and be impossible to clean.

Perches are off the floor but the top one is so close to the side that only a chicken sitting side saddle would fit. 

I think I will have to use a board to aid cleaning, even if only under the perches.  I didn't expect to have to start modifying a new coop I'd just paid £210 for. 

Not really what I expected from a reputable company.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 08:33 »
It's not impossible to clean, but you might want to invest in a bucket brush or similar so that you can give the flooring a good scrub.

Red mite is actualy less of an issue with gaps of 3-5mm, as they like really tight spaces to colonise (like in the joints of tongue and groove timber)

Having watched the video on building the Brahma house, I actually quite like it.

If you put a layer of newspaper on the floor of the house you will be able to keep it spotlessly clean in 2 minutes every day.  The only thins I would do is raise it off the floor, but that is really for my convenience, not for the chickens lol!

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 16:28 »
Just looked on their website and it certainly doesn't look slatted to me. Might be worth having another word with them.

poppysmate

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 21:25 »
Great idea.  Checked out the website and you tube video and lo and behold my floor is totally different.  It even runs from front to back rather than side to side as in the photos and video.    The bottom spar joining front to back and supporting the floor also split when I put a screw in.  I told them and sent photos and they said don't worry about it.

I've written to them again demanding a new floor and again asking them to replace the spar.  Watch this space!.

poppysmate

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 22:11 »
Result - P&T eventually delivered a new floor and spar so now back on track to receive our first hens at the weekend.  The new floor is a rebuild of the slatted one but with an extra piece of wood inserted to make it all fit with no gaps, so still not 'original' like the one advertised but better than before.  It would have been great to start our chicken experience without the feeling of being sold a dud followed by a cover up. C'est la vie.

xx
coop floor!

Started by massa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 17:18
by nicky d
xx
coop floor

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 22:35
by muntjac
xx
white flakes on coop floor

Started by warbz69 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 10:00
by warbz69
question
Run floor

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 23, 2013, 21:42
by joolz68

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 33 queries.