Wasps!

• 1 Replies

jackieinthebox2001

Wasps!
« on: August 22, 2011, 09:10 »
Please help!  I am new to allotment growing but thoroughly enjoying it but I have a problem in that I have a wasps nest in my compost heap.  The heap is enormous due to my allotment being used as a dumping ground before we took it over, so therefore every weed in the plot has been put there.
We have signs up warning tenents of this nest as it faces the pathway but we need advice as to how to deal with it.
Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Swing Swang

Re: Wasps!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 09:33 »
You could just wait until the winter and turn the heap over:

http://www.northampton.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=255&pageNumber=4

"With the onset of cooler weather the workers will become more sluggish and aggressive towards anyone interfering with them, often feeding on overripe fruit they can also become 'tipsy'.  The onset of colder weather and frost kills off the workers and males with only fertilised queens surviving individually in hibernation to start a new colony (nest) the following year.  Once a nest dies in the autumn the queen never uses it again the following year.  She will always start a fresh nest the following season."

Otherwise use an insecticidal smoke bomb after dusk - light it,  push it into the hole, and block the hole - oh, and take precautions so that you don't set your heap on fire, or get stung for that matter. 'Professional' sprays and powders are also available.

SS

question
Wasps

Started by Aunt Sally on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post September 06, 2021, 17:19
by AndyRVTR
xx
We have a wasps nest HELP!!

Started by greenfingers on General Gardening

28 Replies
Last post September 15, 2007, 13:11
by hermon
xx
wasps nest

Started by finleyfreyaseth on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 14:12
by TerryB

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 37 queries.