Do hens get cold?

• 5 Replies

ffinnuc01

Do hens get cold?
« on: September 10, 2008, 16:22 »
Our Silver Grey Dorking has started to sneeze today, she was out in the rain a bit yesterday along with the rest of the brood.

She has spent most of the day on the perch in the run although she has eaten and drunk. she is generally a loner as she is the youngest and does spend more time roosting than the others, when I pick her off the perch and put her in the hutch where its warmer she starts eating straight away, her tail is up most of the time, her body doesn't feel too hot, her comb is and has always been pink not red(about 16wks old) and I have noticed when she sneezes she sometimes blows bubbles in her eye, there doesn't look to be any discharge from her beak at the moment although I have seen something spray when she shakes her head as she sneezes

Non of the others are showing any signs of sneezing and are as mischievous as ever.

Is there any treatment I need to be giving her?

Thanks

poultrygeist

Do hens get cold?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 16:44 »
Hi ffinuc01. :)

I won't try to diagnose what might be wrong, but it may require antibiotics which would need a trip to the vets.

Meanwhile, I would advise separating your poorly hen from the others.

Someone a bit (lot) more knowledgeable will be along to offer better advice shortly. :)

Rob 8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Do hens get cold?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 16:57 »
Rob is exactly right.

Separate her from the others, clean the original housing out thoroughly with disinfectant and get medical attention for her if it continues more than another day. It could be nothing, it could be mycoplasma.

How long have you had her ? Did you get her from a different supplier to the others ?

ffinnuc01

Do hens get cold?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 20:15 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Rob is exactly right.

Separate her from the others, clean the original housing out thoroughly with disinfectant and get medical attention for her if it continues more than another day. It could be nothing, it could be mycoplasma.

How long have you had her ? Did you get her from a different supplier to the others ?

We have had her for 3 weeks, came from the same supplier as our other hens, bought her 1week after our original birds along with an Amber Star who is fine.

Will Jeyes be the best disinfectant to use? what sort of concentration and can they go back in the same day as I don't have any other housing

Thanks

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Do hens get cold?
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 20:30 »
Jayes will be fine.  No idea how strong though.   Allow house to dry and air before allowing the chooks back in.

ffinnuc01

Do hens get cold?
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 20:37 »
Thanks for the info

Have managed to find a vet who keeps poultry not too far away so will try and get her booked in tomorrow and do the clean out and disinfecting

xx
i think my hens have a cold

Started by chech221 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 12:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
Hens have a cold now

Started by janiejakemum on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 18:34
by kimT
xx
Deep Snow, cold hens?

Started by heatherhsp on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 08, 2010, 19:36
by heatherhsp
xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 33 queries.