when veg bolt

• 22 Replies

iwantanallotment

when veg bolt
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 02:13 »
If you value your throat, let them go.
Leeks gone to seed are like chewing on floorboards.
Dump them - no good for anything, unless you're a woodworm.
Oh and SORRY, smojet - welcome to the forum  :D
Sorry that your first reply was a negative. How are your other vegges doing? Would love to know what else you have growing way over there?

Smojet

when veg bolt
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 02:56 »
Hi iwantanallotment,

Aw, that's okay. I didn't make a huge effort to harvest them last fall because I wanted to see if they would survive the winter, which was bitterly cold, and they did! This is my third year of marriage and my third year of planning a ridiculously huge garden (it's about 65' x 7', don't know what that is in meters.) The last two years went well, with eggplants (I think you call them aubergines), bell peppers, chili peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, beans, green onions/bunching onions, watermelon, kale... My big new experiment this year is to try to grow charentais melons. I found them in a seed catalogue and they look gorgeous! Are you familiar with them? I've never seen or heard of them.

Have you gotten the allotment that you want? Oh, and thanks for saving my teeth and gums from the likes of the flowering leeks.

Trillium

when veg bolt
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 03:36 »
Hi Smojet, I'm just over in Ontario and have the same gardening conditions as you.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
when veg bolt
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 07:01 »
Quote from: "Smojet"
This is my third year of marriage and my third year of planning a ridiculously huge garden (it's about 65' x 7', don't know what that is in meters.)

Hi Smojet & welcome. Surely that's a typo - not even us modest Brits would call that "ridiculously huge"! :lol:  :lol:

One of my plots is about 32' x 97' - don't worry about meters we don't understand them!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
when veg bolt
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 08:29 »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ptknVYjcIE

The above may interest you.

I have found that chinese and asian vegetables do bolt if sown early.

They seem to be better behaved sown in August.

I was told that they do not like our long days and short nights. That us why they tend to bolt if sown early in the season.

Roots generally go hard when the plants flower or bolt and are often inedible.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

Smojet

when veg bolt
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 13:59 »
Wow, D.D., you sound like you're running a small farm! And I was always led to believe that everyone in the entire world switched to the metric system except for us! Good for you for sticking to inches and feet and yards and such. It would be interesting to know average garden sizes here vs. there. I think I have the biggest garden of anyone I know, but then we're surrounded by farms, so maybe the people who wanted big gardens just said "to heck with it" and became farmers.  :D

iwantanallotment

when veg bolt
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 14:19 »
Hello again, Smojet.
You can check out pics of others' plots & gardens here http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album.php if you like? Lots of lovely photos there.
No I haven't got an allotment yet, just a crammed little veg patch and lots of things in pots/buckets & greenhouses around the rest of the garden. I've been silly really and grown too much for the space I have. The garden is big, but I'm not allowed to dig all of it up  :lol:
Good luck with your melons. I haven't heard of those. Shame about the leeks, but sounds like you have plenty else to be going on with anyway  :D

JudyAnn

Michigan
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 14:20 »
Quote from: "Smojet"
Wow, D.D., you sound like you're running a small farm! And I was always led to believe that everyone in the entire world switched to the metric system except for us! Good for you for sticking to inches and feet and yards and such. It would be interesting to know average garden sizes here vs. there. I think I have the biggest garden of anyone I know, but then we're surrounded by farms, so maybe the people who wanted big gardens just said "to heck with it" and became farmers.  :D

HI, Smojet!  Where in Michigan do you live? I'm from Indiana.

xx
What causes veg to bolt?

Started by potter on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 19:47
by gerpsych
xx
why do red onions bolt?

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 16:27
by David.
question
What causes cabbage to bolt?

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 22:47
by birmancats
xx
Fastest bolt on record

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 21:07
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 36 queries.