Thames Pea Shingle/small gravel

• 3 Replies

mrs bouquet

Thames Pea Shingle/small gravel
« on: October 15, 2021, 16:08 »
I have recently moved a big climber, from a gravel bed. Taken seedlings that were growing potted them and fingers crossed.
But I needed new shingle to make good.    A friend gave me a large sack that matches mine.   It is called "Thames" because is it dredged up from the mouth of the Thames, I couldn't believe how filthy it is.  I have spent 3 days with the sieve over a large bucket, scoping it into that and washing with fresh water.   Then I just have the thick sandy bucket of water to deal with  :D  Back-breaking.       Mrs Bouquet. what has broken your back this week ?
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Thames Pea Shingle/small gravel
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 17:22 »
Moving barrowloads of chipped hedge trimmings up to my allotment to cover the paths.
I moved 7 (I think) yesterday and being a glutton for punishment, today went back for some more, but after 3 my back really said NO MORE!!! Ooops  ::)

Mrs B next time  just add it as is, and use the hose pipe to wash the sand down into the soil underneath, works for me..

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 06:33 »
Thames Pea Shingle is more used for back-filling drains, and other construction work like screeeding, however, we always use it on our drive and usually let the rain wash the dirt and sand away, leaving a reasonable coloured surface!

A decorative shingle will cost a lot more, but is basically the same only thoroughly washed and screened! Decorative chips will cost even more...

Like Mum says, I wouldn't worry too much about the sand etc., it'll go over winter, and may well help the drainage of the soil underneath!

Incidentally, since we put the drive in thirty years ago, we must have had at least six loads of the stuff, and when they delivered the last load a few weeks ago, I was chatting with the driver, and told him how much we'd used, and we both agreed that we didn't really know where it all went after each time, and everyone says the same thing!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 15:05 »

Mrs B next time  just add it as is, and use the hose pipe to wash the sand down into the soil underneath, works for me..

I couldn't do that because there is matting under the existing and if I wash it in situ the sand and mud build-up gives weeds a chance and defeats the weed suppressant.   But I have got enough sand to fill the pavers up the drive  :D  Mrs B

xx
Dirty gravel bed

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 11:33
by Goosegirl
xx
Lavender gravel?

Started by casper on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 21:21
by casper
xx
How to kill grass in gravel !!!!

Started by Mischief on General Gardening

24 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 21:21
by Yorkie
xx
Before & After tree & Gravel removal

Started by casper on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 22:30
by miggs

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 43 queries.