Pear tree

• 2 Replies

colin120

• Experienced Member
Pear tree
« on: May 08, 2015, 19:49 »
A few days ago I had lovely white flowers on my pear tree now they have gone brown is this normal, or has the frost got to the tree, planted the pear tree in Feb,

the tree is about two years old got it from a friend who has now given up his allotment

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Pear tree
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 20:17 »
Sounds like frost to me. Might not be the end of the world though... you may well still get a crop.

Pip pip,
Balders

BabbyAnn

Re: Pear tree
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 22:06 »
A few days ago I had lovely white flowers on my pear tree now they have gone brown is this normal, or has the frost got to the tree, planted the pear tree in Feb,

the tree is about two years old got it from a friend who has now given up his allotment

When you got the tree, did you dig all the roots out?  I once tried moving a young apple tree after just one year in the ground and after bursting into flowers and leaves, went brown and died - I concluded the roots must have been damaged (okay, I know they were because I underestimated how deep they had gone) and was unable to transport water up to the branches and buds.

On the other hand, blossom will readily go brown when battered with wind and rain so might just be cosmetic rather than a problem.  Fruit trees can withstand frosts and sometimes a cold winter is a necessity for fruit production for the following season so I'd be a bit surprised if that is the case.  Keep an eye out for the leaves to see if it is okay, and to help it along, try and insert a pipe in the ground (without further damage) near the roots so that you can keep it well watered this year.  I'd certainly remove any fruit if you do find some so that all its energy can go into establishing roots.

xx
pear tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 18, 2020, 08:31
by New shoot
xx
Pear Tree

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 17:16
by Trillium
xx
Pear tree

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2020, 08:27
by mdjlucan
clip
Pear tree

0 Replies
Last post May 07, 2015, 16:41
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 39 queries.