I am away for a week

• 2 Replies

cc

I am away for a week
« on: November 18, 2019, 13:52 »
Would putting a fleece over the veg in my greenhouse for the whole week do them any harm? Weather here has a few frost's coming while I am away. Plenty growing in there turnips carrots Paris cos lettuce all doing well.
Thanks

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: I am away for a week
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 12:05 »
Fleece is really at its best when used to protect outdoor crops from ground frosts, which it does by deflecting the cold descending air away from the plants underneath.

It really needs to be in much thicker layers to be an effective insulator in other circumstances, which is not really practical in your greenhouse situation (apart from potentially flattening the plants, you would probably lose more by the fleece stopping any sun from warming the soil than you would gain from the insulating effect.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cc

Re: I am away for a week
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 11:10 »
Fleece is really at its best when used to protect outdoor crops from ground frosts, which it does by deflecting the cold descending air away from the plants underneath.

It really needs to be in much thicker layers to be an effective insulator in other circumstances, which is not really practical in your greenhouse situation (apart from potentially flattening the plants, you would probably lose more by the fleece stopping any sun from warming the soil than you would gain from the insulating effect.)

To late! I am not worried about flattening plants as hasn't done up to now. It will be on for week. I was just putting it on at night. Although after week it may have flattened them. I will report back. I should have made sure it wasn't resting on the plants. I was as usual in a rush. Thanks

xx
Picture updates, this week and last week

Started by Heather_S on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2006, 14:12
by John
xx
week off

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 12:07
by ToHellWithWeeds!
xx
How many hrs a week??

Started by BIG ZOOK on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 24, 2007, 08:32
by agapanthus
xx
Busy week

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 19:52
by jacnal

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 39 queries.