week off

• 12 Replies

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
week off
« on: February 01, 2008, 14:20 »
hi all well with all the rain and over stuff im well behind on my allotment havent even got my first bed dug yet(did think i had but then the glass that i thought id cleared seemed to come back ) so im still on my first bed which hopefully i will use for my tates any way back to what i was going to ask i was thinking of taking a week off work,early march, would that be to late to to do all the stuff that needs doing and what do i need to have done by then please would some kind hearted soul take pity on me and take me under there wing as i really do need help and my other half has lost interest a bit so its all down to me so all helpful advice needed as im starting to panic now  :roll:  :roll:
need all the help i can get and not just with my allotment

noshed

week off
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 15:26 »
Don't panic THWW we are here to help.
March will be a good time to have a serious run at things. You will still have time to sow and plant plenty of stuff. Most of us are already sowing things but this is probably miles too early anyway. If you are a bit late - who cares? Things will catch up.
You can always buy or beg a few plants off people later on anyway.
Read the articles on here about starting out and make a few plans, then get on with them steadily. Or you can use my method of wandering about starting 20 jobs at the same time, it's up to you.
Don't forget allotments are there for you to have fun, they are not a penance!
Good luck
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
week off
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 19:29 »
thanks for that noshed just got a bee in my bonnet at the mo so much to do so little time but i will take what you say on board and try not to panic like you said it should be fun and it is when im there its when im not thats the problem i think ive become an addict but hay ho of to the lotty i go

Selkie

week off
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 19:31 »
THWW, you'll probably get more replies if you posted in the 'grow your own' section :wink:

WG.

week off
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 19:38 »
Moved it :D

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
week off
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 19:39 »
thanks and oops

sweet nasturtium

week off
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 20:10 »
THWW.  I know the feeling, it can be daunting on your own.  The trick with the digging is to get there as often as possible and do a little bit at a time.  I was lucky this year as I forced oh to hire a rotovator for the day but digging will still need to be done.

It may seem as if everyone's just about to start planting, but it shouldn't really happen til early May for most veg.  I kept most of mine in a mini-greenhouse and in front of my window at home til then last year.  There's bags of time, the most important thing is to start with your seed trays in windows, soonish but not too soon.  

Lidl have got their seeds in for 30p a packet, get some and read the labels.  Take it from there, but whatever you do, don't panic!!!

littlemisssunshine

week off
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 21:49 »
THWW

I would second the advice above.  I still have a massive area to do but I have set myself a goal, only half this year (covering the undug bits with plastic).  If I do manage any more it is a bonus.

Little and often is good, I did feel better chtting a few spuds as all I seem to do (when I get time) is dig.  Also the weather is shocking so don't get down hearted :wink:

sweet nasturtium

week off
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 22:02 »
I agree about the weather, an important point - taking a week off in March may not be much help if it's raining.  You need to find a way of making the most of the weather, whether it's getting up earlier to go in the morning or going at the weekend.  But you do need time available when the weather's right.

If oh's not interested, perhaps you could get a friend to help?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
week off
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 22:09 »
Weedy (I've been calling you that for a while now, I hope you don't mind!  :wink: )

My OH never had any interest in my lottie and I've got 2 full sized plots to do by myself... Don't panic!   It can be done and sucessfully.

As everyone has said, if you concentrate on getting your soil in good order now there will be less work to do when it is actually time to start planting.

Do you have a greenhouse?  if so, heated or unheated?

If you have one you will be able to start some seeds off later this month (check the packets for dates - you are fairly southern so the dates shouldn't be too far off for you).  If you don't then take SN's advice and go for the windowsill approach to get them going.

We're all itching to get planting and I've started a few things off already, but they will probably be leggy and pot bound by the time they need to go out so I'm not really saving any time or getting a head start yet!  :roll:

sweet nasturtium

week off
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 23:06 »
Yes, it's early days weedy, just leeks, onions and chitting potatoes need to be started in the next few weeks wouldn't you all say?

It's also a good idea to use this year as a "see how it goes" year, make notes and learn from it.  I did that last year so this year I have not excuse not to get it right!! :roll:

Hampshire Hog

week off
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 11:00 »
THWW get your spuds chitting and wait for a chance to prepare a bed or two, spuds are really very tolerant. As long as you have the ground cleared of the worst weeds and ready by end March the spuds will help break up the soil. Go ahead at your own pace as long as you are making some progress then no one will mind.  :wink:

Cheers HH
Keep digging

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
week off
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 12:07 »
thanks for all the advice it has cheered me up no end and the panic has gone.I do have a greenhouse but at the moment it has no glass in as ive been waiting for the wind to go away as i have mixed feelings as to weather it would stand the wind  :roll:  :roll:  WHEN   i do get it glazed im hoping to get a heater for it as its our 11th wedding ann on the 13th of this month and have been hinting that is what i would like of oh hope he takes the hint but once again i thank you all from the bottem of my now calm heart  :wink:  :wink:

xx
Picture updates, this week and last week

Started by Heather_S on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2006, 14:12
by John
xx
I am away for a week

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 11:10
by cc
xx
How many hrs a week??

Started by BIG ZOOK on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 24, 2007, 08:32
by agapanthus
xx
going away for a week should I water before I go?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 00:23
by Endymion

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 38 queries.