potash!

• 26 Replies

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
Re: potash!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 23:07 »
Well the problem is that applying solid or liquid fertiliser to soil, or even large amounts of compost is a bit random and haphazard, thats why they invented hydroponics, its the only controlled accurate way to maintain NPK levels in a growing media.

Potatoes need potassium to make the tubers swell, and it needs to be about 14:14:21. Lye is high in potassium but very alkaline. Seaweed extract is also hi K,    mainly because seawater is about 400 ppm, as opposed to tap water, which is about 3 ppm.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 23:14 »
Which came first, plants growing successfully in their natural environments, or hydroponics?

I didn't get the impression that dno71 was aiming to grow potatoes hydroponically!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 23:19 »
Which came first, plants growing successfully in their natural environments, or hydroponics?

I didn't get the impression that dno71 was aiming to grow potatoes hydroponically!

Lol i know, i was just pointing out its the most accurate way to do it. Thats why its the preferred method of cannabis farms!!

Potatoes hydroponically, interesting. You would have to have black plastic water trays with black tops to keep the light off the tubers - or how about putting black dye in the liquid ?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 23:24 »
Don't know you well enough to know if you are kidding!!

Just hope dno71 hasn't been put off growing his/her own vegetables for life!   :nowink:

Ivor Backache

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 00:06 »
Returning to the original question: I use Vitax Q4 which has a NPK of 5:5:7. I apply it at the recommended rate when I hoe up the plants.

dno71

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 00:09 »
ever wish you had never started something lol!!! :wacko:

Salmo

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 00:40 »
dno71 - please oh please tell us what sort of potash fertilizer you are planning to apply and what sort of soil you have and someone can give you a good answer.

I can tell you exactly what you need to know if you answer my questions.

savbo

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 07:30 »

Potatoes hydroponically, interesting. You would have to have black plastic water trays with black tops to keep the light off the tubers - or how about putting black dye in the liquid ?

would used engine oil work? it's nice and dark...

:)

MS

Christine

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 08:01 »
ever wish you had never started something lol!!! :wacko:
That's gardeners for you  :D They'll come to an agreement eventually. Round on my site they put something like comfrey in as they plant up and things grow fine.  :D

solway cropper

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 23:20 »

Ah, but which produces bigger crops?

Plants growing in their natural environments have to compete against everything else out there which is why there are crab apples in hedgerows and and nice juicy pippins in orchards. Gardening is a completely unnatural practice...unless of course you just go out and scatter seed willy-nilly and leave it to it's own devices. So I add a little fertilizer. Base dressing of superphosphate and top dressing of potash once the spuds are well away. This is added to each spud plot every 3rd year as I rotate.

Trillium

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 23:54 »
We've simply added some rotted cow manure every fall to the new spud patch and we get more potatoes than we know what to do with. We don't even side dress them during the season, just hill them and try to keep the weeds under control. this year we're cutting back the patch size so we don't have to give away so many.

diggerjoe

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 10:58 »
I've bought pelleted potato fertilizer this year - the site used have a plentiful supply of horse manure delivered into a communal area  but since certain plot holders took more than their fair share and left those whose were not quick enough with nothing I thought this pelleted stuff will have to suffice for this year.

xx
Potash?

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 19:30
by Baldy
xx
Potash

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 09:13
by Swing Swang
xx
Potash

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 20:57
by gremlin
xx
Potash

Started by Manteiga on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 19:05
by mrs mud

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 39 queries.