Shock, horror - a Chinese balloon

• 10 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Shock, horror - a Chinese balloon
« on: February 04, 2023, 14:25 »
Is it just me or does anyone else feel amused by this story of USA outrage at a Chinese balloon drifting over the USA? I mean, if they are so concerned, surely they have the technology to bring it down and examine it?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Shock, horror - a Chinese balloon
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 19:28 »
Apparently it’s not that easy

In fact, bringing down this type of balloon may be extremely difficult, as it is likely to be highly resistant to the available weapons. It may look fragile, but the sheer size and construction of a stratospheric balloon makes it all but invulnerable.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambling/2023/02/03/busting-that-chinese-balloon-is-harder-than-you-think/?sh=4c6536e17d6a

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 21:20 »
Breaking News …

The Americans have just shot it down !

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/04/politics/china-spy-balloon-us-latest/index.html#

CNN
 —
US military fighter jets shot down the suspected Chinese surveillance balloon over the Atlantic Ocean off the Eastern Seaboard of the United States, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin confirmed Saturday.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 22:21 »
Like a ballon would be more insightful than all the myriad satellites the Chinese have orbitting the Earth.
I have a friend who is a journalist in New York and they've been having a field day reporting on the farce.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 02:55 »
I think the actions taken by Biden and our military and intelligence services make complete sense and were appropriate.

It is considered a potential spy balloon.  It makes complete sense to take it down in a controlled manner to be able to determine the nature of the equipment carried by the balloon.  Taking it down over land would damage far more of the balloon/equipment than doing so over water, and also would endanger civilians on the ground (falling debris). It was shot down over shallow water off the coast of South Carolina, a place where debris is more likely to be recovered.

Pundits complaining it should have been shot down earlier are foolish (https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-jr-chinese-balloon-solution_n_63dd567ce4b01e928871075b), that would have risked human lives (Even more foolish is the idea that gun owners in Montana could take down a balloon from an altitude of 66,000 feet).  Those saying not to do anything are also foolish, given the possibility (likelihood) that the Chinese were using it for spying. Even if the equipment turns out to be scientific and not for spying, the protocol should have been for the Chinese to notify all countries that might have the balloons crossing their air space.  Since that did not happen before the Canadians and USA spotted the balloon, I think that the Chinese were spying.  Reuters story here https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-says-us-is-going-take-care-of-chinese-balloon-2023-02-04/  Another similar balloon is flying over Latin America.  There have been similar spy balloons in the past.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 03:40 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 12:22 »
Apparently, based on information gathered by US high-altitude surveillance aircraft while the balloon was still flying, it was likely used for signals intelligence.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 12:38 »
Do they know anything more about the green lights over Hawaii?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 15:01 »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 15:23 »
No clue about the green lights. I hadn't heard about that until just now.

If NASA is involved, unless it is something classified, they likely will post on their website about it.  They haven't done so yet. . . I just checked.

xx
Fruit Fly horror

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2021, 21:31
by grinling
xx
Chimney sheep vs chimney balloon

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 03, 2021, 19:41
by Yorkie
xx
Chinese New Year

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post January 24, 2020, 18:33
by mrs bouquet
xx
Chinese Translations

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post March 23, 2020, 15:17
by Growster...

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 50 queries.