Munty's runner bean frame

• 273 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Munty's one way to grow runner beans
« Reply #210 on: March 07, 2010, 14:12 »
I've just built my frame, stood back to admire it, shown it off proudly to fellow plot holders... But I'm sitting here looking at it and suddenly realised: the short side is actually a little over 5ft tall. The high side is probably about 7ft...

Have I gone too large?

Sounds ok to me providing your runners run fast enough up and over... beats having to scrabble round on the soil picking from the lower side...  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #211 on: March 07, 2010, 14:35 »
Hi, I hope so!

I guess it's about a 7ft row by about 5ft deep.

Much larger than I had envisaged, but I got carried away.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #212 on: March 23, 2010, 18:53 »
The problem i have is I have Raised beds and am unable to get the frame to face south, what would be the best alternative ?
Mmm I have a similar problem in that ideally the way round that I'd have my frame sited, the "open" face would face north.  So the sun would be strongest on the upper side of the frame IYSWIM.  What's the concensus - is this a really bad idea or might I get away with it?

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2010, 07:17 »
That's what you want, isn't it? Sloping roof facing South and the mid day sun?

Beans hanging down on the shady side - although you will be looking into the sun if you pick them at midday!

digalotty

« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2010, 11:15 »
i want to build a munty so i was wondering as everyone has built theres over a a bed and then planted something fast under to get an early crop, why not build it on the edge of the bed so that the beans hang over the path, instead of walking on the soil to pick the beans you have a nice path and room the other side to put your broad beans in first.

does this make sense
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

chopkins1313

« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2010, 12:11 »
that's what I've done with mine, looks a treat!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #216 on: March 24, 2010, 19:05 »
My beds ... are aligned north-south, widthwise east-west. To make the most of the length of the bed, which side should be the open side - east or west? I presume east to make the most of the early morning sun.
Interested in other people's views as to whether Morning or Evening sun is more beneficial?

My view is that they are same /similar and I would pick most beans in Afternoon or Evening and I wouldn't want to be looking into the sun, so I would plant East facing (morning sun benefit) so as to have the sun behind me when picking!

Trillium

« Reply #217 on: March 24, 2010, 19:10 »
Munty's original findings were that the slightly south east facing light yielded the best crops. Mine face more south with a slight tilt to the east and I'm overwhelmed with runners. I put lettuce under my frame for a quick catch crop, then basil.

jdwmk

« Reply #218 on: March 24, 2010, 21:57 »
Hi

I built a Munty bean frame on my plot this weekend.  Can't wait to see the beans growing up it.  Will try to take a photo of it and post it when I can.  What I do know is that it has sparked a lot of interest up at the allotment !  My neighbour was telling me today that she's had a number of people asking her what it is we have constructed   :D  I think they think the newbies are a bit daft  :lol:

We are planning to plant a couple of pumpkin plants under our frame - does that sound OK ?  ???

digalotty

« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2010, 22:11 »
you will be dancing round them as you try and pick your beans

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2010, 23:43 »
i want to build a munty so i was wondering as everyone has built theres over a a bed and then planted something fast under to get an early crop, why not build it on the edge of the bed so that the beans hang over the path, instead of walking on the soil to pick the beans you have a nice path and room the other side to put your broad beans in first.

does this make sense
Absolutely!  I have been considering growing mine so they hang over my "patio" bit to give us some shade in this blistering summer we're going to have! :D

trogg

« Reply #221 on: April 30, 2010, 12:16 »
Hi all, I have this week built my 'munty' frame, the only real problem I have is the longer posts are 8 foot high, is this too high ?
I've had a few comments about it, "are you building a football/rugby pitch" etc  :tongue2:
I'm quite tall so reaching the beans wont be a problem for me but will the beans actually make it to the top ?
I think they'll have to travel about 10 foot from the ground to the top of the frame  :blink:
Or should I just reduce the hight of the frame, easily done but it would be nice to leave it as it is and prove a point  :tongue2:

:)
boing boing

Swing Swang

« Reply #222 on: April 30, 2010, 12:41 »
beans can grow 10'

trogg

« Reply #223 on: April 30, 2010, 13:14 »
Thanks, that's put my mind at rest  :)

Might even put some hanging baskets across the top  ;)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #224 on: April 30, 2010, 18:58 »
Thanks, that's put my mind at rest  :)

Might even put some hanging baskets across the top  ;)

Actually that's not a bad idea!  I'm making my MuntyFrame(tm) this weekend and it's going to be right by my "sitting area" .  I could put some nice hanging baskets there!!

xx
Ask Munty - Planting Tips

Started by Smudgeboy on Growing FAQs and other Information

16 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 18:26
by DD.
xx
making your own seed compost the munty way

Started by muntjac on Growing FAQs and other Information

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 16:10
by muntjac

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 55 queries.