Looking for wine and alcohol recipes from real people.

• 30 Replies

hayles62

• Experienced Member
Just got back from town with ten Demijons on the bus from a charity shop and wondered what to do next? There are some air locks and bungs and I got some yeast from Wilkinsons. So recipes please and any tips would be great. Do I need more equipment by the way? I'm looking at web sites but prefer advise from proper people :?

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 17:43 »
Having made about 50 jars of blackberry jam we were thinking of doing something else with our blackberry harvest that just keeps coming!
We got this recipe from the internet and thought we would give it a go:

6 lb blackberries
2-1/2 lb granulated sugar
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
7 pts water
wine yeast and nutrient

Wash berries thoroughly in colander, then crush in bowl, trasnfer to primary fermentation vessel, and pour 7 pts. boiling water over must. Allow to steep for two days, then strain through nylon sieve onto the sugar. Stir well to dissolve sugar, add pectic enzyme, cover well, and set aside for 24 hours. Add yeast and nutrient, cover, and set aside 5-6 days, stirring daily. Pour into secondary fermentation vessel of dark glass (or wrap clear glass with brown paper), filling only to the upper shoulder of the secodary, and fit airlock. Leftover must should be placed in a 1.5-liter wine bottle with airlock (a #2 bung fits most 1.5-liter wine bottles) and used for topping up. Top up when all danger of foaming over is past. Place in cool (60-65 degrees F.) dark place for three months. Rack, allow another two months to finish, then rack again and bottle in dark glass. Allow 6 months to age, a year to mature. [Adapted from C.J.J. Berry's 130 New Winemaking Recipes]

Good luck will let you know how it goes for us once we get round to doing it
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 19:59 »
Hi Hayley

Straweberries make a nice rose and you can pick them up cheap when a market is closing late in the afternoon Anyway enough woffle you were looking foa recipe try this one  I have 2 gallons of this fermenting nicely

Strawbs 4 lb
Sugar 3 lb
1 teaspoon  citric acid
1/2 teaspoon  Grape Tannin
1 gallon of water
Yeast and nutrient

Wash and mash mix with sugar and half the water. after 36 hours strain into a demijohn then put 2 pints of water on the pulp mix and strain again. Add the acid tannin and yeast top up to 1 gallon  fit the airlock and ferment out. Good Luck Lentil's blackberry recipe looks cool as well.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

hayles62

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 15:01 »
Went Blackberrying this morning and got over 7 lbs so will be making the wine with those to the above recipe, we ate all the Strawbs but will adapt the recipe to Rassberries that I have frozen and see what happens as a bonus while out I found a lovely Puffball Mushroom and me and the girls had some of it with Lamb, Green Beans, Carrots, Cooked Beetroot and potatoes all home grown except the Lamb.
What a lovely, day I even got a sack full of Apples to make Cider and Wine with.
My next door neighbours went to Mc Donalds again and they say I'm wierd!!!! :shock:

hayles62

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 08:19 »
Lots of simple recipes here,

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/recipes.asp

thanks to my friend from Norfolk Freecycle who sent me the link. :D

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 12:38 »
Should work pretty much the same with raspberries Hayley got to be worth a try. I've seen but never tried recipies for rowanberry going to try it this year.

hayles62

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 11:21 »
I got a bottle of Pommegramet (spellings of on that I bet.) syrup reduced in Sainsbury's yesterday and I'm experimenting with that as it is so strong in flavour and strait to the Demijon with some citric acid, sugar, yeast and an infused tea bag. See what happens. :shock:

hayles62

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 07:07 »
Runner Bean and Elderberry Wine

1 lb Runner Beans
1 gallon water
2 lb Elderberries
1 tsp Pectolase
1 level tsp Citric Acid
1 Campden tablet
I level tsp Yeast Nutrient
Yeast

Cook the beans without salt, drain off the liquor and make up to six pints with water.
Eat the beans.
Crush the berries in a bucket, pour on cold bean juice and add Pectolase, citric acid and crushed Camden tablet  and leave for 24 hours.
Heat 2 pints of water and dissolve the sugar and yeast nutrient, cool it and add it to the bucket, add yeast and cover for 2 days.
Strain the must (mixture in bucket) into a Demijon, fit an airlock and ferment out.
Rack and store in a cool place for six months.

This is a dry Wine that you can sweeten to taste.

hayles62

• Experienced Member
Stompy's wine recipe.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 20:21 »
This wine recipe is from Stompy

Stompy says,
"Hi there guys, my favourite wine has to be bramble.

The strongest i ever made was rosehip, thats like a dry sherry taste, (blows your head off).

I'v got some gooseberry on the go at the moment, don't know what that will be like.

I'm going bramble and elderberry collecting this weekend with OH, she doesn't know yet.

This is the recipe for gooseberry wine"

6lb of gooseberrys
3lb of sugar
1 tsp of yeast neutrient
1 tsp of brewers yeast
1 tsp of pectic enzime
4 ltr of water aprox

1. Wash and crush the gooseberrys, place in suitable sized bucket.
2. Then pour on the water, stir three times daily for three days.
3. Strain the liquid through a siev into a demijon, then add sugar.
4. Mix thoroughly until all the sugar has disolved, then add the rest of the ingredients.
5. Fit airlock and leave until fermentation has stopped.
6. Rack off when clear, then rack again 3 months later.
7. Bottle or drink

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Orange Juice Wine
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 21:33 »
Hi Hayles and any other financially embarrassed alcafrolics out there in lottie land!

Orange Juice Wine

1100ml (39 fl oz) canned or bottled orange juice (I buy the cheapest ones)
1100 grams (39 oz) granulated sugar
5 grams (1 tsp) tartaric acid
5 grams (1 tsp) ammonium phosphate
2250 ml (4 pints) boiled water
1 sachet yeast
pectic enzyme

The quantity of juice is not crucial, and in practice, any amountfrom 1000 to 1300 ml (35 to 46 fl oz) will do.  the cloud present in teh ornage juice is largely pectin, so make sure that you add the pectic enzyme to ensure that you get a crystal clear wine.  

Take only 2lbs of the sugar and dissolve it together with the tartaric acid and the ammonium phosphate in the water in the demijohn.  Add the juice and yeast and allow fermentation to get uner way as usual.  Place the lock in position after 3 or 4 days but do not top up with water at this point.

About 10 days after the yeast was first added, remove the lock and top up the demijohn with a syrup made by dissolving 110 gram (4 oz) of sugar in the appropriate amount of water.  this method of dding extra sugar in syrup form part way through the fermentation is always used when a higher alcohol ontent is required.  thus, more sugar means more alalcohol, but if all the sugar is added at the start, it sometimes proves too much for the yeast such that the fermentation either will not start, or alternatively, may come to a premature end.  Now let the fermentation work itself out and rack the wine in the usual way once the wine clears.

Sulphite the racked wine (5 ml of 10% solution) and top up with sugar syrup made from the remaining sugar.  If many yeast cells remain in the racked wine, it is possible that fermentation will start again despite the sulphite, and at least some of the added sugar will then be converted into alcohol to give an even stronger wine.  The average yeast does not normally tolerate alcohol concentrations much above 15%, however, and so it stops working once this level of alcohol has been reached.  The procedure you adopt depends upon whether the wine starts working again or not after the addition of sugar syrup.  If the wine does not continue to ferment, then it can be allowed to remain in the demijohn until it is absolutely clear, when it is given a 2nd racking.  the clear wine is tasted and if it is weet enough, it is sulphited and bottled.  More sugar (in syrup form) can be added if necessary before the sodium metabisulphite is added and the wine bottled

If the wine starts to work again when more sugar i added, let it work itself out again and become clear before it is racked.

(I don't like using sodium metabisulphite, it tastes awful and is like adding bleach!), but you must do what you personally like, and see what happens!!!!!)

This is from a book called straightforward winemaking which a friend bought me waynback in 1980.

hayles62

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 08:46 »
That looks good thank you for writing it out for us, I bet you can adapt the recipe to any fruit juice! Ideal for when theres an empty Demijon and knock down juice from the super market.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 13:21 »
Yes Hayley, there is a pineapple recipe too, the only difference is that they use 10 grams of tartaric acid instead of the 5 for the orange juice, not tried the pineapple yet.

That is because orange juice is more acidic than pineapple juice.  There's a recipe in the book for orange wine too, must send it to Oliveview out in Spain!!!!

hayles62

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 21:39 »
Been picking Sloes today and found the site full of lovely recipes for alcholic drinks.

http://www.sloe.biz/pip/index.php

silver8

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 21:03 »
Just got my hands on alot of free wine making equipment and looking forward to giving it a go. Next year aiming to use my own soft fruits and wild berries like elderberries. But bit late for this year. Want to get started with supermarket juices. Anyone got any recipes starting with juices rather than the fruit?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 22:14 »
Hi Silver8, look up 4 posts above this one, I wrote out the orange juice wine recipe that I use, its not bad!!!!

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 36 queries.