food dehydrators

• 15 Replies

Elcie

food dehydrators
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:03 »
Does anyone use one?  Have done a search and there was a chat just about two years ago about their merits and most people seemed positive.  I am thinking about asking for one as a Christmas pressie and would like to hear any advice or any models that have worked well.  I tried to make veg chips in the oven once, they were a disaster, so maybe a dehydrator is the answer?

madcat

Re: food dehydrators
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:39 »
The lady who runs this website keeps on singing the praises of hers. 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 14:04 »
Thanks for the link Madcat.  I like that site and she links to a dehydrator that is less than £30.  Just about the cheapest one I have seen!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 14:23 »
I wasn't aware of these, this is most interesting! :D I've had a look at the Cottage Smallholder's thoughts (she is good isn't she?) and I like her idea of buying near date fruit and veg to dry :), I've also picked up loads of ideas by going back and searching the forums. Thanks for asking the question Elcie! :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 14:48 »
I know of a lady in Bulgaria who uses one to dry fruit etc. and is very happy with it. I believe they also dry meat to make a form of jerky but only if you are not vegetarian!
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

madcat

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 15:11 »
I love the idea of drying instead of freezing - less space and energy consumption - but haven't yet summoned up the nerve to mention another gadget thingy to OH...    :ohmy:  Let us know how you get on ....

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 17:00 »
It all depends on the dryer you use. If it's an electric dryer, it'll do a lovely job, but will also eat up electricity as the drying process can take up to 8 hours depending what you're drying. I used to do apple slices for the kids and they loved it, but the power bill skyrocketed. The thicker the item, the longer it takes so 12 hours or more is possible. The dryer itself can cost quite a bit and extra racks on some models can really boost the bill. You'd need to be sure you'd get your money's worth. Personally, I felt I was chained to mine as the kids ate the apple slices as fast as the dryer made them.

Solar-type dryers can work well but you just have to do it when the weather is fully dry and sunny. If you search the web, you can find all sorts of simple designs to build your own and save a bundle.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 21:24 »
I've got an electric dryer and it's fab  8)  I got mine 2nd hand and it is quite a pricy model brand new, but check Preloved and similar sites because people seem to quite often buy them and then never use them  ;)

I've dried homegrown tomato slices, apple rings, pear slices, raspberries, shallots, beans .............great for storing surplus when the freezer is full and the stuff tastes amazing.  Streets ahead of anything you could buy.

I got the following book from Amazon - Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook ISBN 0-688-13024-0  It's a bit american but a bible for food drying.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 17:42 »
I've got a drier too. It was one of the cheaper types as I saw it as an experiment, but I've stuck with it rather than upgrading.  Dried apple slices (as someone else said) and chillies plus a few other things. Raspberries weren't a success (for me). I don't use it much, but for the things I do use it for I find it very good.

Some pictures etc. in my blog - see right pane for Index, then you should be able to find vegetable drier in the list.

Poolfield2

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 22:32 »
 :ohmy:Kristen I just lost half an hour on your blog, that is quite a project :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Yabba

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 07:45 »
I've got a homemade one, works surprisingly well. Used it for drying my chillies.

¥

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 13:15 »
I've got a homemade one, works surprisingly well. Used it for drying my chillies.

¥

We just string and hang our chillis to dry - works perfectly.

Incidentally, direct link to the Food Dehydrator

And a photo
dehydrator1.jpg
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Yabba

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 19:02 »
We just string and hang our chillis to dry - works perfectly.

Where's the fun in that? :shocked_smiley(_sans_chrimbo_hat):

¥

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 19:23 »
"And a photo"

Snap! That's the one I've got :)

Elcie

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 19:26 »
"And a photo"

Snap! That's the one I've got :)

It is just about the cheapest one I have seen so is probably the one that I am going to go for.  I will be like you - will try it out to see if it is worth getting the more expensive model, will love it but will probably never upgrade!

xx
Food dehydrators.

Started by Salkeela on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 18:22
by David.
xx
dehydrators

Started by eli on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 22:16
by MoreWhisky
xx
Dehydrators

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 00:51
by sclarke624
xx
FYI Excalibur Dehydrators

Started by rowan57 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post August 20, 2014, 18:14
by rowan57

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 35 queries.