TV pic getting darker.

• 2 Replies

Goosegirl

TV pic getting darker.
« on: June 04, 2023, 08:36 »
When we moved our TV pic started getting darker so I put the light up as far as it will go, but now it's getting hard to see the screen especially films. It's getting on a bit so do you know why it's doing it and should I get a new one.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DanielCoffey

Re: TV pic getting darker.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 12:54 »
If it is a flatscreen TV, they have a backlight that shines through the colour LCD allowing you to see the picture. If the backlight is becoming faulty, it can technically be repaired/replaced but it is rarely economical to do so (for the owner at least - some folks make a business of refurbishing faulty devices since they have all the kit).

Do not attempt the repair yourself by opening the back for a look as there will be mains voltage at the power supply.

You should get an easily viewable picture in a normal shaded room at about 50% on the brightness scale, only needing to go a lot higher if the TV is in sunlight. Remember the brighter the picture, the more power the TV will be using.

If you don't have an easily accessible local TV repair place, it would be advisable to start planning to replace it.

EDIT : Oh, and most Councils will have a specific spot in their recycle centres for electronic devices such as this so they can be checked for repair or stripped for the rare materials.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 12:56 by DanielCoffey »

Goosegirl

Re: TV pic getting darker.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 09:19 »
Many thanks for that info. The TV is a flat screen near but facing away from the window and the room only gets the sun from mid afternoon. Owing to corneal scars I draw the blinds and have to put a hat with a peak on because of the daylight on the screen. You have confirmed my opinion about getting a new one but am struggling to keep up with the latest technology i.e. OLED and QLED. Having looked into this (though not quite understanding it) it seems most now are OLED but their brightness isn't as good as QLED. I'll maybe just bite the bullet and go by Which? recommendations for a 43" from either LC, Samsung or Panasonic as don't want to spoil the ship etc. P.S. Don't do Sky or anything else just use Freeview.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 41 queries.