Apple Juice

• 5 Replies

grendel

Apple Juice
« on: September 03, 2015, 13:03 »
Since I was fortunate enough last year to procure a champion Juicer at a boot fair for a reasonable (£10) amount, I thought I would try it out on the apples. I started with some of the windfalls, cutting out the bruised and bad bits as I went, but not bothering to core or skin them.
A small bucket of about 12 apples was used (maybe 6-8 lbs of apples - we grow them big here- but so far on 3 attempts Brogdale have not managed to identify the variety).
The champion juicer munched through the fruit as if it wasn't there (these have a huge motor), giving a nice couple of containers of juice with a nice froth on top.
The juice was then fridged, and this morning I filled a flask which I have been swigging all morning, the juice is slightly Tart, but sweet enough to drink.
Our apples grow huge, maybe 1Lb on average each and the tree is covered, unfortunately they don't keep well, they have to be used within a few weeks or they go woolley, most years we core and slice and vacuum bag a whole lot and put them straight in the freezer, this keeps us going in stewed apple and apple sauce through the year, unfortunately the tree generally produces more than a freezer full, hence the idea of finding other ways to use the fruit.
Is it a good idea to add a little lemon juice to stop the apple juice oxidising?
Grendel
P_20150902_205914.jpg
P_20150902_205538.jpg
P_20150902_205416.jpg
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Snoop

Re: Apple Juice
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 14:20 »
I'm not an expert on adding lemon juice to slow oxidation, but you could also bottle it.

For general info, see:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/oct/29/how-to-press-apples-george-monbiot

A lot of this will be irrelevant as you already have the juice, but I found it interesting. I presumed the bottles would need to be covered in water during the heating process, but that would seem not to be the case.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 15:26 »
I'd bottle it as you have a juicer. I've done loads of fruit juice and cordial this year as we were given loads of fruit and our grapes did well. A lot of mine has gone into ordinary large jars and waterbathed with their lids on and well covered with water.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 16:02 »
A tree full of large apples that do not keep well and go wooly sounds very much like James Greive.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 16:11 »
We've just done that, Grendel, and using old windfalls is a great way to use what would normally be chucked out!

We got just over a litre of juice, plus a lot of froth and scum, and the left-over pith went into a fermenter with all the other fruit we've been growing and can't eat or give away!

I find it needs racking a few times, before it's totally clear, but today's offering was rather like your apple flavour, although it is an eating apple - Lord Lambourne.

grendel

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 19:23 »
They are indeed very similar to James Grieve, apart from the fact they are always ready about a month before the ones at Brogdale (about 5 miles up the road), maybe a cross breed from James Grieve?

xx
Apple juice help

Started by sorrel on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 17:55
by David.
xx
Apple juice anyone

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 11:10
by Maryann
xx
Apple juice

Started by gobs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 11:18
by gobs
xx
Re-using bottles for Apple juice

Started by Hitwoman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 07:08
by Hitwoman

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 36 queries.