Chickens on holiday

• 5 Replies

Moby1

Chickens on holiday
« on: September 16, 2007, 17:21 »
This may sound like a stupid question to many of you,  but I would like to know what do most of you do with your chickens when you go on holiday?

I'm considering keeping chickens in my back garden, never tried it before, but what if your neighbours say no, your family live far away, and you feel you might stretch your friends patience by asking them to come round every day to let the birds out and then in again etc.?
Is there such a thing as a Chicken Kennel service?!

yorkshirerose

Chickens on holiday
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 17:27 »
We are lucky cos we live in the country and one of the farm workers and his daughters come to do the dogs, cats, budgies and now chickens.

There are house/pet sitters services and these people are strictly vetted by the companies that have them on thier books.

Have you asked your neighbours about looking after your animals  :?:
They can always say yes or no.
It is difficult to find someone you can trust but if they are an animal lover they will look after them like you do. :)  :)
Live every day as your last - enjoy life and smile.

Moby1

Chickens on holiday
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 17:38 »
Thanks, an animal service may well be what we need, we live in London, lots of dog owners but no poultry owners as far as I know. Can chickens be moved with their coop to a friends house - is moving house as stressful for birds as it is for humans? :?:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Chickens on holiday
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 18:16 »
I don't have a problem with going on holiday because I don't!  I'm allowed 1 visit to my daughter in kent once a year and OH stays behind and looks after the animals.

Moving chooks can be very stressful, but perhaps if it not often, it would be okay.  

Ever thought about house swapping with likeminded people?  Or a housesitter who wants to holiday near London and willing to look after your chooks as well as empty your freezer?

muntjac

Chickens on holiday
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 22:13 »
get the nieghbours interested or thier older kids .paying kids to lok after em also gets em interested  :wink:
still alive /............

mumsy

Chickens on holiday
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 22:17 »
Hello
I agree with Munty, but I had a lovely suprise when I asked our   neighbour the other day while we went back to a family wedding.  He jumped at the chance to look after our 2 .  It turns out he had over a 100 during the war.  It has bought memories back for him, I now have a great hen sitter.... so.. just ask you never know.
Mumsy

xx
Chickens when we're on holiday

Started by F1schuey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 00:17
by hillfooter
xx
Holiday cover for chickens

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2013, 16:04
by themagicaltoad1
xx
What do you do when you go on holiday!

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 20:55
by craig1981
xx
Going On Holiday

Started by linzechris on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 16:38
by Hengist

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 37 queries.