Flymo DM Help

• 4 Replies

Nufan182

Flymo DM Help
« on: May 14, 2013, 23:08 »
Hello all. I have posted a couple of threads on the Grow Your Own page but am still very new to the site. So hi :-)

Yesterday I was given a Flymo DM by my neighbour who had, but no longer has an allotment.

The DM was filthy with mud still in the belt guard since it was last used (8yrs ago) I cleaned it of, drained the old oil from the sump and fuel which was left in the tank, filled with oil and u/l petrol, greased the moving parts via the greasing nibs. Brushed any rust off. Just a general make over.

I checked the cables and then checked the spark plug was not sooted up and the connection to the lead was ok, which it is. But when I checked for a spark nothing at all. Do spark plugs just stop working or could it be something major?

Sorry for the essay.

Regards,
Nufan
An allotment newbie. I love my allotment, I am not sure it feels the same about me :)

3 allotments

• now is the time
Re: Flymo DM Help
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 23:46 »
hi have you taken the flywheel off it may need sandpaper rubbed round it and the pick up may need a rub too also the points may need a rub. Are the points  pitted?.i have had a few engines like that,  usually does the job hope this is of some use.darren ;)
diggity dig dig

grendel

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:54 »
rust on the parts under the flywheel can reduce the gap and cause a no spark situation, I would suggest taking the flywheel off and cleaning the coil (unless the coil is external - then just clean it) clean and reset the points, and then it should be ok. check that the carburettor is clear from dirt and blockages (put the choke on and spin it over a few times - does the spark plug get wet?)
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Nufan182

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:31 »
Hi Grendel & Darren,

Thank you both for your help.

I have taken off the pulley and had a look at and cleaned the coil and pick up. All in all it looks in quite good nick. Not rusted or pitted whatsoever but alas, no spark  :(

I am going to try a new plug tonight. Maybe I should have tried that first. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again,

Any more help will be very much appreciated.

Nufan

smud6ie

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 10:41 »
More  than likely you will have to remove  flywheel and clean points
Smud6ie

xx
Flymo dm

Started by cray0752 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 14:09
by Browser
xx
flymo GTA Help

Started by Daytona on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2017, 21:30
by Daytona
xx
Flymo DM Cultivator

Started by EarithAdam on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2014, 18:35
by Beezer
xx
Flymo DM Bearings

Started by madbrit on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post February 23, 2011, 02:46
by madbrit

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 35 queries.