My chickens don't perch

• 24 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
My chickens don't perch
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 22:53 »
Our Goldlines are 24 weeks now, and 1 started laying just over a week ago, one started at the beginning of the week, and another started yesterday!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
My chickens don't perch
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 22:53 »
Lovely grannie  :D

mobyjones

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 22:55 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Our Goldlines are 24 weeks now, and 1 started laying just over a week ago, one started at the beginning of the week, and another started yesterday!

Now, if we had have had a really good summer, would they have taken so long?  :?

Global warming, it has a lot to answer for!  :shock:

Moby1

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 22:56 »
Quote from: "Kym503"
I got mine at 16 weeks.  I've always picked up their food hopper and placed it just inside the hen house when I shut them up at night in case they get hungry in the morning before I let them out.  I also have a smaller water container in the house just in case ...seems to work for them.

So does keeping food in their coop at night make them come out eagerley in the morning? You would would think breakfast in bed meant a long ly-in!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
My chickens don't perch
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 23:02 »
I've never thought about the weather making a difference, but you could be right!  Apparently, they can start to lay at 18 weeks and like your Brown Nicks, carry on until 80 weeks rather than the normal 72.

Our chooks always have their food hoppers inside, as it stops the wild birds nicking any and pooing on it.  Hubby worries about wild birds maybe contaminating the food, but they don't have water inside, in case they tip it over.  We try to keep their litter as dry as possible, as they run on deep litter and if it gets wet it smells.

5aday

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 11:22 »
Hi Moby1,

I was told my girls were between 22 & 23 weeks old when we bought them and they have laid 5 eggs everyday since!  We don't have any problems with them being reluctant to come out of the coop, in fact the first morning we intended leaving them in until about 11.30 am and had left them food and water in the coop but by 10.30 they were so eager to explore they had lifted the lid off the nesting box and were busily explooring their pen.  We don't leave food or water in the coop now and they all pile out when I open their door at about 7.00 am.  Over the weekend I have allowed them to completely free range which they love.

5aday

PS, I now fasten the lid of the nesting box down with a luggage elastic as I realised that if they could get out that way predators would be able to get in!!!!!!!
Wish I was at home with the chickens!

5aday

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 11:29 »
GrannieAnnie,

My Brown Nicks were £6.00 each so a bit dearer than yours.  The lady I had them off wouldn't take any money for them as her dog had just bitten me on the leg!  Been back to the Dr. today for another course of antibiotics as the wound is not healing, I suppose you could say that I have paid a high price for them.  Still they are so entertaining I wouldn't be without them now.

5aday

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
My chickens don't perch
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 12:20 »
Quote from: "5aday"
I now fasten the lid of the nesting box down with a luggage elastic as I realised that if they could get out that way predators would be able to get in!!!!!!!

Use some metal catches 5...  Foxes can chew through elastic no problem  :(

mobyjones

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 12:31 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
I've never thought about the weather making a difference, but you could be right!  Apparently, they can start to lay at 18 weeks and like your Brown Nicks, carry on until 80 weeks rather than the normal 72.

Our chooks always have their food hoppers inside, as it stops the wild birds nicking any and pooing on it.  Hubby worries about wild birds maybe contaminating the food, but they don't have water inside, in case they tip it over.  We try to keep their litter as dry as possible, as they run on deep litter and if it gets wet it smells.

The weather does make a significant difference to the young chicks development. Actualy it makes a real difference to the development of a whole host of other species also.

Recently I was told that heavy thunderstorms can affect the regularity of birds laying. But with the impact delayed a few days. For example a bird that lays almost every day may experience a storm on a sunday and then be put off laying the following wednesday or thursday. Has anyone experienced this?

It was a reputable dealer who told me so I have no reason to doubt him. I just wondered what other people had seen first hand?

Regards
MJ

Moby1

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 12:39 »
Thanks 5aday, looks like we'll have to wait for a few weeks before our Brown Nicks lay. Do they give any sign that it's about to happen? Someone told me that they make a lot of noise beforehand.

xx
is 3 ft to high for my chickens perch ?

Started by nicsastar on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 30, 2009, 21:41
by T C
xx
Handling chickens/perch

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:19
by nzdunn
xx
Chickens sleep in nesting box not perch :(

Started by Scubapunk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 03:35
by hillfooter
xx
age of hen to perch

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 18:01
by joyfull

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 35 queries.