My chickens don't perch

• 24 Replies

5aday

My chickens don't perch
« on: September 26, 2007, 14:11 »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I should be doing more to encourage my 6 girls to perch,  there are 3 perches in their coop which is more than ample for them however, every night they settle themselves on the floor of the coop (and I suspect one of them uses one of the nesting boxes).  They are perfectly happy and friendly and as I said in my earlier post they give me 5 eggs every day without fail.  I have had them less than 2 weeks and before I had them they were kept in a large barn that was deep littered.  I am tempted to just leave them be, do you think that would cause them any problems in the future?  They are about 24 weeks old now.  Thanks for any help.  :?:  By the way I keep them on shredded paper as there is a good supply of this at work, is that OK?
Wish I was at home with the chickens!

muntjac

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 14:13 »
perches 12 inch from the floor or higher?.... most the times its because the perches are to high :wink:

other than that .. just let em be  :wink:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
My chickens don't perch
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 14:34 »
I've moved this post for you 5aday and deleted the other one  :roll:  :lol:

You could try lifting your hens onto the ourches after dark.  They should stay there and hopefully get the message  :D

muntjac

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 14:36 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I've moved this post for you 5aday and deleted the other one  :roll:  :lol:

You could try lifting your hens onto the  ourches after dark.  They should stay there and hopefully get the message  :D

the munty affect strikes againourches

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
My chickens don't perch
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 14:38 »
Thank you Munty  :lol:

PERCHES   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
My chickens don't perch
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 15:27 »
mine had the same problem.. I did what aunty says.. basically once they are "in bed" move them onto a perch. It took me a couple of weeks to get all 3 of mine to know where their "bed" is :)

Selkie

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 17:51 »
i've given up trying to get my two used to their perch -- i tried putting them up at night but after dora kept doing the splits trying to get down i've decided that they just aren't perching hens :roll:

Kym503

• Experienced Member
My chickens don't perch
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 22:09 »
I've given up on mine too.  I have 6 girls aged 24 weeks now - all laying very nicely - between 4 and 6 eggs a day.   However they have no intention of using the perch I made for them or the 3 nest boxes I loving made them.  They all insist on laying their eggs in a nest they make in a corner of the house.  I've tried putting golf balls in the nest boxes but so far that hasn't worked - I swear to god they have not even noticed them!!
With hind sight my nest boxes were a mistake.  I built them with a flat roof so the little darlings all sleep on top of that.  I've given up.  They must be happy or they wouldn't be laying so well.  And as everyone says happy hens lay eggs adn they're doing that just fine.

Kym

5aday

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 16:16 »
Thanks for your replies everyone, they are really appreciated by a novice like me.  I have decided to leave them as they are for now as they are happily laying me my 5 a day (no prizes for guessing where I got the idea from for my user name).  I had my second double yoker yesterday!  Really pleased with my chickens but can't find out much info about them, they are a hybrid called Brown Nick, has anyone else got these?

chickychick

• Experienced Member
My chickens don't perch
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 16:51 »
after having the same problem with my 4 chickens I took some advice on this site and lowered my perch it is now just about 4 inches off the floor and two of them are voluntarily using it at night now.  I intend to inch it up little by little and then start putting the reluctant two on the perch after dark.

As I understand it it is better for their feet if they are perched at night and saves them sitting in the bottom of the coop in the poo! not that Idont clean it out often cause I do.

As for egg laying boxes mine use the egg box very well, I seal it off at night to stop them all piling in there to sleep.  I used fake onyx eggs and they seemed to get the message no problem
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

Moby1

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 22:37 »
I have 2 brown nicks, only had them for 4 days, they were also reluctant to perch, i presume as they also were reared in a soft floored barn. the first night i had to put them on the perch, they stayed there all night, the next night one of them found the perch, the other didn't, so i have been putting her on the perch each night, hoping soon she'll do it herself soon.
They are also very reluctant to come out of the coop in the morning, I've had to take them out to show them where the food and water is. Again i presume this is because they're not used to being outside.
A question for you, when did they start laying - mine are just over 16 weeks.

muntjac

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 22:39 »
soon if they want to ... one never can tell with chickens for certain  :wink:  welcome moby1 matey

Kym503

• Experienced Member
My chickens don't perch
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 22:44 »
I got mine at 16 weeks.  I've always picked up their food hopper and placed it just inside the hen house when I shut them up at night in case they get hungry in the morning before I let them out.  I also have a smaller water container in the house just in case ...seems to work for them.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
My chickens don't perch
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 22:46 »
Mmmm, never heard of them before, and could only find this little bit about them on the quick search I did!

BROWN NICK
A brown hybrid capable of laying 359 eggs to 80 weeks.  These being the darkest brown eggs with excellent shell strength compared with other hybrids in National Laying Trials

But I suppose they are like most hybrids, our Bovans Goldlines and Ambelinks are supposed to lay 350 eggs a year, so the Brown Nicks surpass even that figure!!!  But they are £8 each!!!!!  Ours were £3.95 and £4.25 respectively, but I think the price is going up, because of the price of feed.  So our Amberlinks will be about £4.50.

OH's friend said POL's in Essex are selling for £12.  I'm in the wrong place!!!

mobyjones

My chickens don't perch
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 22:49 »
Quote from: "Moby1"

A question for you, when did they start laying - mine are just over 16 weeks.

Very soon indeed. Although I've had some take 22 weeks!!! Believe it or not the weather can have a very big influence. Warm sunny days can help. With the dodo weather we have had this year many birds will probably take a little longer...

MJ

xx
is 3 ft to high for my chickens perch ?

Started by nicsastar on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 30, 2009, 21:41
by T C
xx
Handling chickens/perch

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:19
by nzdunn
xx
Chickens sleep in nesting box not perch :(

Started by Scubapunk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 03:35
by hillfooter
xx
age of hen to perch

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 18:01
by joyfull

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 35 queries.