Law regarding chicken noise

• 59 Replies

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Re: Law regarding chicken noise
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 10:10 »
They are a retired couple - he is a lovely guy but she has been vile to me since I moved here. They were dead against me having chickens from the start and when I had one silent hen I felt disapproval come over the fences in waves! We don't talk now - that's a really long story!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2014, 10:11 »
How many chooks do you have now. Good luck if they come and visit.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 10:39 »
Three pekins.  I think they'll ask my neighbour to keep a 'noise diary' for three weeks to get an idea of the problem. 

Sassy

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 11:10 »
Thank you Joyfull.  This is a domestic property not an allotment.  I've done some reading about the law and I'm hoping they'll have to jump through lots of hoops before they can actually take my hens away. The difference between 'statutory nuiscance' and 'annoyance' is a grey area and down to the councillor's  opinion I suspect.

As far as I am aware the allotment act regarding the keeping of hens applies to domestic properties :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

splash101

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 11:28 »
Sorry to hear that nerdle. Yes they would jump through lots of hoops before taking them away, i very much doubt it would come to that anyway.

I suspect that the problem your neighbour has, isnt anything to do with your hens. Some people are just like that and will use anything as an excuse.

Hope it gets sorted and quickly too.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 12:12 »
Three lol we had 12 at one point and although our grumpy neighbour didnt like them she only moaned to herself and her poor hard suffering hubby.

Good luck xx

pepsi100

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 12:17 »
I could post a video from my security camera, it would be pretty boring and quiet, only noise is from them laying eggs (some dont tell the world)

This is from Sunday, they cackled 4 times, Barry crowed 5 times

There is more noise from the kids playing and the birds in the trees

I wonder what the neighbours problem is, it cant just be the noise a chook makes, surely ?
It's all about the journey, not the destination

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 12:21 »
it may be the allotment law but it covers all land including your garden. This law over-rides any local bye-laws etc so if they say you cant keep them point out that an act of parliament says you can (this applies to hens only not cockerels).
Staffies are softer than you think.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 17:16 »
That's wonderful news Joyfull thank you!  I'm not that worried but it would be nice to be sure.
when I think of what some people endure from their neighbours - parties, littering, dogs incessant barking...this is so ridiculous.  Looking for the allotment law now!

evie2

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2014, 18:02 »
We had new neighbours move in a few years ago, they made all sorts of rumpus about everything they even upset one of our most easy going neighbours.  He cornered me one day, well verbally assaulted me would be more accurate, when I pointed out he was actually stealing from our property.  Anyway, he told me 'keep your fowl off my land' that he didn't have any birds in his garden as his 3 year old might eat the poo :ohmy: :wacko: I asked if he had informed the flipping great wood pigeon about that, I was in a bit of a mood by then >:(  He then insisted I stop my fowl, yes, that's what he called my chickens, laying their eggs in the tree,' it's not right' :wacko: it was our tree in our garden and I told him he was an idjit. 

Long story short, police were involved regarding theft, council and RSPCA involved regarding trees and chickens .  The decision at the end of the process concluded my description of him being an idjit was probably spot on.

It's a horrible situation nerdle and I really feel for you, keep your chin up and don't let it spoil your enjoyment of your girls :D

Now don't get me started on the barking dog problem >:( :mad:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2014, 19:37 »
it may be the allotment law but it covers all land including your garden. This law over-rides any local bye-laws etc so if they say you cant keep them point out that an act of parliament says you can (this applies to hens only not cockerels).

Just to highlight that while Joyfull is absolutely correct, the Allotments Act 1950 relates to being allowed to keep hens despite any provisions in land documents to the contrary.  It specifically also says that it is subject to the hens not causing a statutory nuisance.  So, if the council deems a statutory nuisance to exist, the Allotments Act won't help.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

grinling

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2014, 21:05 »
Take a wander around chicken run/shed/fence boundaries looking for rat holes and fill in. If you do find them a rat trap would help.
Make sure run/house spotless, though 3 pekins make hardly a mess!!
Make sure that there are no escape holes into the neighbours.
Good luck

barley

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2014, 22:41 »
Well they have now complained so the council are obliged to investigate.  Let's see. :(

WOT !!!!

They are sad sad people  :mad:

maybe make some cakes with fresh eggs to offer the council official pointing out that they are just 3 little hens kept as pets ( no different to bunnies in size  ;)) and the eggs are just a bonus  :)

Then offer a cup of tea to go with said cake  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Good luck Nerdle keeping all fingers crossed for you xx

pepsi100

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2014, 23:26 »
I'd do 2 eggs on toast, sunny side up  :) you dont get any better than that  :)

2 sunshines on a plate and the world is good  :)

barley

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2014, 23:39 »
I'd do 2 eggs on toast, sunny side up  :) you dont get any better than that  :)

2 sunshines on a plate and the world is good  :)

cakes and two sunny side ups pepsi - she'll have it all wrapped up in her favour in no time  ;)

xx
Chicken noise

Started by Tom Parrot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2018, 14:48
by 8doubles
xx
Chicken/hen noise

Started by nottage on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 22:14
by dawnsmith
xx
strange noise - escaped chicken???

Started by babe on The Hen House

51 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 23:20
by muntjac
xx
New noise.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 19:17
by raeburg

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 33 queries.