Can I be trusted to worm my cats?

• 8 Replies

Auntiemogs

Can I be trusted to worm my cats?
« on: April 24, 2012, 18:33 »
Sorry peeps but just needed to vent!  :(

I realised I'd run out of worming pills last week and since I needed to order some cat litter anyway I put in an order online for some Drontal to kep me going for a while (5 tablets).

The site asked me for the names of the cats and how much they weighed so I put in a rough guestimate.

I then received an email saying that the tablets I had ordered weren't a sufficient dose individually for the cats and they would need the XL version according to the manufacturers instructions and to please advise if I would like to change my order.

I replied that the weights were an estimate and that I found the smaller tablets easier to cut and so was happy with the original order.

Today I received the following email "Thank you for getting back to me.
Please could you weigh your cats and provide us with accurate weights for them?  Our Animal Health advisors need accurate information before they can legally prescribe any medication."

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today but these are not prescription meds and if I can't be trusted to give the correct dose then presumably I shouldn't be allowed to order more than is required for 1 treatment or to even weigh my cats.  I may not even have any cats at all but a secret (until now) addiction to worming pills.  >:(

Bah!
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
Re: Can I be trusted to worm my cats?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 21:35 »
just remember NEVER to tell them you stir them into your morning cup of tea  :wacko:

had a similar problem today. went to companion care vets and asked for frontline flea spray. they told me to bring in all my chickens to prove that they were healthy and that i actually had that number! luckily there are now only 11....i used to have 30.  :ohmy:

at £23 for the small bottle and £50 for the large - there was no way i was going to pay another 20 quid for the consultation. i told them i'd ask elsewhere!

god bless the 'rant' and all who fume in her ;)
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 21:53 »
just remember NEVER to tell them you stir them into your morning cup of tea  :wacko:

had a similar problem today. went to companion care vets and asked for frontline flea spray. they told me to bring in all my chickens to prove that they were healthy and that i actually had that number! luckily there are now only 11....i used to have 30.  :ohmy:

at £23 for the small bottle and £50 for the large - there was no way i was going to pay another 20 quid for the consultation. i told them i'd ask elsewhere!

god bless the 'rant' and all who fume in her ;)
I prefer to crush them tbh to get the full benefit!  :lol:
Shocking how much Frontline costs from the vet so I usually buy online but don't think you can get the spray online - have you tried the chemist (lots of them have started selling Frontline over the counter)?
Feeling a bit calmer now, 'tis good to get it out!
Thanks hun.  :)

maxyboo

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 22:01 »
I've never had to give any info for worming tabets Auntiemogs. Perhaps it's a new idea from a well meaning individual. I suppose the XL tablets are more expensive so they want to sell more of those if possible. No I don't think frontline spray can be bought online without prescription. I don't know why as you can get the spot ons. Someone else's bright idea perhaps. :)

spottymint

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:23 »
Drontal tablets & Frontline spot on (adult fleas) only can be bought at the medicine counter in most bo*ts.

The spot on which stops the fleas breeding as well, is perscription only.

:)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 16:03 »
Excellent news, thank you spotty.   :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 09:52 »
I have just ordered Advantage 40 which is a spot on treatment for small cats, rabbits etc.  I wanted it for my hens so had to put my cats details in the online order form.  If she knew she would be disgusted as she has never had a flea in her life (19/20 years).
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

grendel

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:04 »
AuntieMogs, it does  have some relevance we got tablets for our 8 4 normal size and 4 xl. unfortunately in her haste to dose the cats up the smallest one (2kg and barely big enough for a standard  tablet got given an XL. oops. quick call to the vets and we were given symptoms to watch for, butwere told there is a very wide tolerance (10x normal dose before its toxic) the xl tablets are 1.5 x normal tablets so our little one got a bit extra. when she threw up later we rushed her to the vets, but he looked her over and apart from a little hypersalivating she was fine. so yes its worth checking, I think the break points are 2kg and 4kg, but our 3kg girls managed ok with the XL tablets and our 4 bigger boys who ended up with the standard tablets seemed to still work.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Agatha

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 16:27 »
I buy Bonnie's flea & worm treatments from the vet now...it's a little more expensive, but I don't have the time to wait half an hour at the pet shop for the 'authorised dispenser' to be free & then to have to fill out 2 forms & answer loads of questions.  At the vets, I'm in & out in 5 minutes.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

xx
cats one rule for dogs one for cats

Started by traacyken on Pets without Feathers

60 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 22:25
by mumofstig
xx
Who would have cats ?

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 08:20
by composthappens
xx
Cats

Started by dookie on Pets without Feathers

84 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 00:07
by Paul Plots
xx
Talking cats

Started by mumofstig on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 21:33
by Trillium

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 28 queries.