Any suggestions as to a good make of woodburning stove?

• 32 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Any suggestions as to a good make of woodburning stove?
« on: September 07, 2010, 14:09 »
We're looking at installing a woodburning stove, maybe around 5 to 7 Kw output and there's a lot on the market with a wide range of prices. Has anyone got a favourite make they could suggest?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Any suggestions as to a good make of woodburning stove?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 14:54 »
We've only ever had the Stovax John, never had any problems with it, but it doesn't give us hot water or central heating, just HEAT!  oh and with the flat top I can cook my winter stews on it for free!! :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 15:10 »
We have a Charnwood which we fitted into the old open fireplace space and closed it in, so it doesn't have a lovely flat top to put your kettle on, but it does have central heating capability.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 15:17 »
We're not planning on a back-boiler with it - but Val loves the idea of slow cooking as a by-product in the winter.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 15:43 »
And I've got my le creusot kettle which sits on top whistling away to me!

RosieMay

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 16:01 »
We've got a Morso 'Squirrel'.  Absolutely love it.  No back boiler, just for heat but we have boiled a little kettle and boiled eggs on the top and cooked jacket potatoes wrapped in foil inside!  Husband had the knack of damping it down and keeping it going through all the snow last winter and we kept it going for 4 days whilst we were all snowed in! 

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 17:08 »
Hi John, we had one fitted last year. It is a Franco Belge or the other we were recommended was a Wenloch which is an aga I believe. Not the cheapest but it is really good and can burn wood, coal and paper bricks. There is enough room on ours for a kettle and small pot but ours is the smallest so a larger one might have more room or you could have the flue from the rear which would give you all the top.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 17:43 »
That's a good point about the flue - I think we'll have to go straight up but worth checking. There was a woodstove there so think the flue is properly lined. I'll get it checked though - houses burning down not being a good idea!

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 17:50 »
Hi John, certainly worth getting the flue checked out. We had to have our chimney lined but it actually improved things as they put vermiculite in which helps reflect the heat into the house.

ACatCalledElvis

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 18:50 »
we are going for a Rayburn - with solar panels to support it - it should support all heating and hot water for the house - and you can cook on it as well!!

Expensive - but only intending to leave in a box so will save money over time
Be Reasonable Demand the Impossible

Organic as much as my plot neighbours allow

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 19:51 »
agree with acatcalledElvis - opt for a rayburn (you can get multifuel ones - mine is LPG though), radiators, hot water and they cook cakes wonderfully (or at least so I have been told but have to wait for Jim to build the extension before installing it - only had it about 4 years  ::)), plus if you have an orphaned lamb a good source of comforting reviving heat for it  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 20:49 »
Initially we'll just go for a multi-fuel woodburning stove in the hearth, but the master plan is to put some evacuated tube solar panels up and change the heating from LPG to a ground source heat pump.

Can't do everything at once unless I win the lottery and you need to buy tickets to be in with a chance.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 21:45 »
Ours is a multi-fuel, but we only use it for free wood, and our flue does go out the back then up into the chimney!  The surround still isn't quite finished!   :(

oooh John, this is so exciting!!!!
new fireplace mar 09.JPG

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 02:36 »
In my 2nd last house I had a freestanding stove with a pipe out the back then up through the cathedral ceiling. It wasn't a large stove but the flat top gave me enough space to boil a few pots at a time, particularly during power outtages. We installed a flue heat gauge so we'd know if we were burning hot enough to eliminate creosote but not burn down the house. And definitely get a damper installed close to the stove so you can control heat on windy days (rather than have it all sucked up the flue) If you're not familiar with burning, I highly recommend taking a free course through suppliers. Your insurance company will love you for it.

Whatever you buy, avoid the cheap knockoffs. The casting is the worst and will likely crack during a hot burn, and the gaskets are usually not well lined up to the door and stove, so lots of unwanted air wasting your fuel and burn.

I currently have a built in set into the former fireplace. It was installed by the previous owner, and I hate it. Even with built in blowers, most of the heat goes up the flue and there's nowhere to warm a pot or kettle, only a small ledge to place the eco fan which pushes out more warm air.

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 23:51 »
A really good site to help you work out which one is best for your situation, and room size, is stovesonline  It really helped me decide what the best one would be for me. They are very helpful indeed. There is a size calculator on there too so you know what size to get

I was able to pin point very quicky which would fit my room and which one was smokeless and it narrowed the choice right down so making the final decision was very quick

I got an Esse SE100 which is great as it's not too deep but has a big door so you can see lots of fire  :)  So far it's worked a treat and it kicks out lots of lovely heat. Great flame action too, the flames dance and flicker with the airwash or whatever it's called

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 38 queries.