Beetroot Leaf Miner

• 10 Replies

Gail

Beetroot Leaf Miner
« on: October 11, 2007, 18:17 »
I tried to grow beetroot this year, but the roots didn't swell so I ended up with pea sized plants!  Also the leaves were badly damaged by leaf miner.  Could that be the cause of undersized roots?  Does anyone know how I can stop leaf miner damage?
Thanks.
Gail

muntjac

Beetroot Leaf Miner
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 18:19 »
leaf miner affects the whole plant pull all leaves off a new crop and treat with liquid derris . clear all rubbish up this year and bin,,,, treat ground with a spray of  milky white jeyes fluid in a sprayer  :wink:
still alive /............

Gail

Beetroot Leaf Miner
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 18:21 »
Thanks, if I need to I'll do that next year when I have another go at growing them!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Beetroot Leaf Miner
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 18:22 »
Beetroots need quite a lot of water to grow to a good size and be nice and tender.  I know it's been quite a wet summer but if your soil is free draining they may have been too dry (mine were  :( )

Gail

Beetroot Leaf Miner
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 18:25 »
Yes, we have sandy soil so that might have been the problem.  Thanks for the advice, I'll give them plenty of water next year.

gobs

Beetroot Leaf Miner
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 18:27 »
You need quite an infestation to account alone for such a bad growth rate. In future try to pick off infected leaves as soon as you can and destroy.
When did you sow? Did you thin them? And water as said, all such basic things might matter. :wink:  :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Gail

Beetroot Leaf Miner
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 08:04 »
Thanks for your advice, admittedly I sowed them a bit late in the year, I think it was around August.  I thinned them to about 4" apart, and the leaves grew really well at first.  Maybe sow earlier next year!

muntjac

Beetroot Leaf Miner
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 08:07 »
try april end  :wink:

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: Beetroot Leaf Miner
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 17:28 »
This is an old thread but i think i have leaf miner on my beetroot in the garden, do i pull the best of them and bin the rest.
Thanks
Kris

hogwarden

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 18:14 »
No-just take of the worst leaves and have a rummage in them in case you can find a maggot or pupae to murder actually in the leaf!-at least you`ll feel better. The roots should not be effected by this pest and unless you`ve got rows and rows of them you could examine each plant leaf system and rub off any fresh eggs etc.-this menace is  a pain.
not so bad on beets but nasty on spinach because that` s the bit you eat and as far as I know there is no fix...! :mad:

ps-check your spinach too!

I`ve been experimenting by raising all my Swiss Chard (were in pots) onto high shelves (1M) as these too are on their treats list -so far so good ::)

chcikenrunbec

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 19:30 »
Leaf mines dont kill or affect growth of Beetroot the small ones are just due to impatcience, dry weather and not feeding.

xx
Leaf miner again

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 08:57
by tode
xx
Allium Leaf Miner.

Started by realfood on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 11:47
by JayG
xx
Leaf Miner out of control

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 17:25
by oldcow
xx
Alium leaf miner

Started by MARROW HEAD on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 20:32
by gobs

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 32 queries.