New veg bed, suggestions please

• 1 Replies

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
New veg bed, suggestions please
« on: February 04, 2011, 13:04 »
Hi,

I have today cut down a plum tree which was casting shade on my garden veg plot and to be honest the plums never got eaten and just ended up rotting on the floor  :( I did make some plum wine once, i'ts about 18 months old now, haven't tried it yet cos I'm worried it will make me ill  :lol: Looks and smells ok though  :)

Anyway, this has given me an extra area to grow veg  :) The soil is heavy clay but I have managed to dig it over as it's not too wet.  The tree roots are not close to the surface so hopefully I can grow something.

I was wondering if improve the soil a little is there anything worth growing in the bed this year?  I know I could do potatoes but it's only a small area; about a metre square.  I tried growing Charlotte new potatoes once but they seemed to disintergrate on cooking >:(

I'd like to grow some brassicas in the space but I'v not had a lot of luck with them so far in my other beds; they grow but never get to a decent size. I have added compost and  stable manure from the garden centre to my beds which has improved the soil a lot and they get sun most of the day. The buttons on the brussels I grew have only just got to a size worth picking  :( and I was hoping to eat them at Christmas  >:(

Any suggestions for the new space would be very welcome

Thanks

Ma and Pa Snip

Re: New veg bed, suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 13:32 »
Not going to be much help I'm afraid, but what I wouldn't attempt to grow there yet is any root crop.

If you likely to have remnant plum tree roots under an area of about a metre square I'd settle for something like salad  or tomato crops or maybe even a soft fruit if you haven't already got some.
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

clip
Suggestions please

Started by KezMez on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2017, 22:11
by mjg000
xx
Anyone any suggestions...

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 21:40
by AndyRVTR
xx
Suggestions as to what to set

Started by Pep on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:41
by Greengirl
xx
Suggestions for new bed please

Started by Carrotcake on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 19:00
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 35 queries.