Suggestions for new bed please

• 2 Replies

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
Suggestions for new bed please
« on: April 17, 2010, 16:12 »
This is very much work in progress so please excuse the state of the picture.

My lovely husband created a flat area for my polytunnel, which involved pushing soil against the boundary (with a digger). The soil that was moved is OK but is full of bramble roots, so the plan is to slowly rake it back clearing the remaining brambles as I go, to create a big bed behind the beams.

Does anyone have any suggestions for planting? Will soft fruit do well in a position that doesn't get sun all day (this photo was taken about an hour ago, 4.15pm here)? I've read a thread that suggests they might, which would be brilliant as it would be a permanent crop and we love raspberries.

I was planning to plant runner beans there as they didn't do too well in full sun last year because of the lack of humidity. I'm hoping a bit of shade might improve the yield, but I don't think I could fill the whole area with beans!

Any suggestions, no matter how bizarre, greatly received. Space is not a problem, but nothing too tall as I don't want to shade the tunnel.

Lardman

Re: Suggestions for new bed please
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 17:41 »
What direction is it facing ?

Id certainly put some runners there, I like my beans  :D I would have thought you would also get away with raspberries.  The old bloke next to me here has some self set canes on the west facing side of a shed thats in shade most of the day.

Have you considered comfrey? that would be useful.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Suggestions for new bed please
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 19:00 »
the natural habitat of raspberries is at the edges of forests, so it looks ideal....it faces south east with the sun lower behind the hedge in the late afternoon ? :unsure:

I think most veg and herbs would grow there as well...the world is your oyster :)

xx
Anyone any suggestions...

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 21:40
by AndyRVTR
xx
Suggestions as to what to set

Started by Pep on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:41
by Greengirl
xx
New veg bed, suggestions please

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 13:32
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
Suggestions please.

Started by Irene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 12:15
by Irene

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 37 queries.