NOT A STRICTLY VEG QUESTION

• 5 Replies

NATHAN

« on: May 21, 2007, 10:15 »
Well, not veg related at all, but it does involve growing stuff.

I am about to move house and i have a fantastic cordiline australis (not sure of the spelling) palm in the back garden that is about 8 ft tall. It has been planted for about 4 years. I would very much like to move it with me but i am unsure if this is possible to do. Does anyone have any advice or experience in such matters ???

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:43 »
Hi, although i cant answer your question i feel someone ill be along shortly to help you out. keep checking your post/thread.
Best wishes  liz
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 12:07 »
Hi Nathan, start by watering your cordyline really well the day before you plan to move it, then dig your new hole ready( if possible ) and in-corperate some good fertilizer in the hole and/or dig in some organic matter.
Dig your cordyline up with as big root ball as possible, slip either sacking or thick plastic under the root ball to help you lift it, Once in it's new hole make sure the level of planting is to the same height as in it previous position, back fill the hole,and water well. You will probably want to stake it to keep it upright, I'd put the stake in at roughly 45 degrees to the ground and tie it to the cordyline with something soft, protect the plant from rubbing against the stake.
Then keep it well watered for the next year.

Hope this helps and good luck.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

WG.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 12:33 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
You will probably want to stake it to keep it upright, I'd put the stake in at roughly 45 degrees to the ground and tie it to the cordyline with something soft, protect the plant from rubbing against the stake.

Good thinking RR.  I'd suggest 2 or more stakes, then use rubberised straps or even tights to tie the plant to them.

If it is 8ft tall, expect a big root system - maybe you could find a 1 tonne builder's bag to transport it in

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 15:02 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "richyrich7"
You will probably want to stake it to keep it upright, I'd put the stake in at roughly 45 degrees to the ground and tie it to the cordyline with something soft, protect the plant from rubbing against the stake.

Good thinking RR.  I'd suggest 2 or more stakes, then use rubberised straps or even tights to tie the plant to them.

If it is 8ft tall, expect a big root system - maybe you could find a 1 tonne builder's bag to transport it in

We moved a 8-10' tree 4 year ago and I was surprised by the amount of root ball, not as big as I thought, not as surprised as I was by the weight of it though   :lol: , we had to carry it through the house from the front to the back, It's flowering lovely again now well worth the effort.

WG.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 15:27 »
It was the weight I was thinking about.  Useful to have 4 strong corners with loops.

xx
Not strictly a veg question ...

Started by wellingtons on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 08:10
by robbodaveuk
xx
question?

Started by coo! on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 19:11
by mumofstig
xx
to buy or not to buy that is the question ?

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2019, 13:35
by rowlandwells
xx
... another compost question

Started by RosieMay on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 18:04
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 28 queries.