CLEARING AND DIGGING

• 7 Replies

Catherine78

CLEARING AND DIGGING
« on: December 02, 2008, 13:40 »
Hi

I wonder if you can help me deceid what the best thing to do is! I have dug over a small patch of high grass weeds ect and covered in Black plastic early this year in April. (bearing in mind I did not manage to get all weeds out at the time).  Is it best for me to leave it covered until springtime and then dig over and pull out any remaining weeds or shall i uncover the patch now and dig over pull out any remaining weeds ect and  let the air in,  put some goodness into the soil and leave it uncovered over the winter?
Whats is the best thing to do to get my patch ready for spring time?

Many Thanks
Catherine

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
CLEARING AND DIGGING
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 17:38 »
I'd do what you can over the winter, for a number of reasons:

- if you leave it till spring there will be too much to do before planting time (trust me, I know!)

- if the plastic is not permeable, no water or air will have got to the soil and it will be a little sour and compacted.  It needs to be exposed before planting

- if you manage some digging, the winter frosts can help break the soil into smaller particles.

This is all subject to the rule that if the soil sticks to your boots, don't walk on it or you'll damage the soil structure
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Salmo

CLEARING AND DIGGING
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 18:12 »
Excellent advice from Yorkie. The plot will be dry underneath the cover which presents you with a good opportunity. Take the cover off a little at a time as you get to it and dig it while it is dry.

Take your time. Do not hurry to get planting until you are sure it is clean. You do not need to be first to get things planted, later planted crops grow away fast and usually catch up.

Trillium

CLEARING AND DIGGING
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 19:17 »
And in all the newly dug and cleared patches you can start adding amendments like compost, old manure, bonemeal, etc

Catherine78

CLEARING AND DIGGING
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:21 »
This Is all excellent advice from you guys :)

I'm actually looking forward to taking a days annual leave this friday (hoping the weather will be dry) to spend a few hours up the plot to dig over the covered area and hopefully clear some more bramble.

Many Thanks

compostqueen

CLEARING AND DIGGING
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:35 »
Don't plant til its clean  :?  Why not ?

I'd be planting in it immediately! A plot is for growing food  :D
Nothing to stop you starting off with clearing a small area, big enough for growing some onion sets, garlic or shallots. Then start work on the next bed and the next etc  While doing this you can cover areas with cardboard and sheet mulch to stop weeds getting any worse (makes em give up the ghost completely if you leave it in place long enough)

Growing veg is the reason for getting a plot, so why does everyone advocate this total annihilation of every plot weed before growing the food ?  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it but just pointing out there is another way.  I'm a 50 something with a dodgy back,  and the one bed at a time route is easier and less strenuous for those of us working singlehandedly

Salmo

CLEARING AND DIGGING
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 10:16 »
Compost Queen is quite right, but make sure the bit you are planting is clean. Many times I have seen plots skimped over and hastily planted only to spend years fighting a rear guard action against the weeds.

Catherine78

CLEARING AND DIGGING
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 16:21 »
I know what you mean Salmo.

What I'll do then is pull the plastic sheet back dig it over pull out any unwanted weeds as much as I can. and leave it to break up over the winter will also add some goodness into the soil.  

Hopefully I wont have too many weeds come through!

cheers

xx
Dug it up while clearing the plot

Started by Beetroot queen on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 11:33
by Salmo
xx
Careful Clearing

Started by Heather_S on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post August 27, 2006, 23:10
by Heather_S
xx
Clearing laurel bushes

Started by SusieB on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 12:45
by New shoot
xx
Weed clearing for wild flower area

Started by ambodach on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2016, 06:14
by wapello

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 28 queries.