potato

• 19 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: potato
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 20:31 »
My granddad from N Wales always planted his spuds on Good Friday - as Harry says, I think it was because as a miner it wasn't the Sabbath and it wasn't a working day.

I know it's not a fixed date, but I like the association with a grandparent who I don't really remember, and so try to honour him that way!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

solway cropper

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 22:43 »
I've always thought it strange that people plant according to a calendar and not the weather. I usually have a few tubs going in the greenhouse by late february. Then I cover small areas of the plot to warm up the soil and plant half a dozen spuds at a time until the weather warms up. If we get a hard frost I don't lose much.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 10:57 »
Mine are merrily chatting in my conservatory but had to open window yesterday as a strange object called the sun warmed them up too much. As spring approaches I find it is a balance between planting too early or ending up with baked potatoes before they have been in the ground. Normally copy my neighbour and see when he is starting his off. Probably aim for mid March depending on long range forecasts etc.
Cheers HH
Keep digging

al78

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 19:52 »
I've always thought it strange that people plant according to a calendar and not the weather. I usually have a few tubs going in the greenhouse by late february. Then I cover small areas of the plot to warm up the soil and plant half a dozen spuds at a time until the weather warms up. If we get a hard frost I don't lose much.

I wonder what such people did in 2013, when even in the balmy south east, winter carried on until the second week in April.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 20:29 »
I wonder what such people did in 2013, when even in the balmy south east, winter carried on until the second week in April.

I planted mine about the 12th of April that year
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101015.msg1166261#msg1166261

xx
potato

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 17:34
by Growster...
xx
potato help please!!!

Started by Tattieman69 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 19:04
by Tattyanne456
xx
One potato, two potato, three potato, four.

Started by Tom Netall on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 23:31
by Yorkie
xx
Potato Help Please

Started by rutters on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 19:37
by rutters

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 38 queries.