Globe Artichokes - Overwintering

• 12 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Globe Artichokes - Overwintering
« on: November 24, 2016, 14:41 »
I had a nice first year growing some Artichoke plants and have cut them down for the winter. and covered them with fleece. However they seem to want to keep on sprouting new shoots. I am concerned about frost / ice damage as the growth as I have lost a couple of the fleeces from covering them.
Can anyone advise how hardy these plants are and what I can do about this new growth.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Globe Artichokes - Overwintering
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 14:50 »
I just leave mine to get on with it, although there is a lavender hedge behind  them, which gives a little protection from the prevailing wind.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 15:01 »
We planted some this year, and I dutifully chopped off the heads as they formed.

They look pretty down now, but I thought you just left them to regroup next year?

Ours are not well protected, so perhaps they'll die back on their own.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 15:15 »
Oh, OK, I thought I had read in a few places that you need to protect them from the cold as they are a mediterranean plant.  Can you really let them get on with it?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 16:49 »
The RHS says
In cold areas, cover plants with a mulch of straw, compost or well-rotted manure in late autumn, to protect them during cold winter weather.

It's your decision whether you think your area counts as a cold one...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 02:18 »
You might find my little page on growing globe artichokes useful.

I like to cover them with a layer of leaves and a plastic sheet to stop them getting waterlogged - but do remove it in early spring. I must admit to not thinking them worth the bother as a crop but they are beautiful and impressive plants if you've got the room.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 15:31 »
Another one who lets them get on with it. My 5 plants have been in place for about ten years now. Occasionally I chop a new shoot off and replant it in the spring, but otherwise nothing other than cutting down the woody stems. I'm sad enough to count the artichokes and can say that this year I had 132(!) They do take up quite a bit of room, but they look great and if any artichokes don't get picked the bees love them. Although I think towards the end of the season my neighbours used to hide when they saw me approaching.

jambop

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 21:53 »
First up why did you chop the tops off? Second even though I live in an area where a frost is not that regular one year we had -15C in early Feb when they were well grown and the artichokes wilted but they regrew to produce a crop. I really don't think they are that tender!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 18:00 »
First up why did you chop the tops off? Second even though I live in an area where a frost is not that regular one year we had -15C in early Feb when they were well grown and the artichokes wilted but they regrew to produce a crop. I really don't think they are that tender!

I think that they need to get established, Jambop, and the first year's growth isn't allowed to develop, so the plants get stronger below ground.

The 'flowers' we had this year were definitely not worth harvesting, and the ones we've seen close by were much bigger and worth a pick!

But there again, I've never grown these chaps before so will stand corrected!

jambop

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 19:11 »
I do not think cutting back the tops would strengthen the roots to be honest a good bushy top is going to do that feeding back into the system.

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 19:36 »
Used to grow them when i was in Alton Hants.
Tell the truth i just let them get on with it apart from taking out the old stems.
Gurt big thistles that can look after themselves IMO. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 20:04 »
I do not think cutting back the tops would strengthen the roots to be honest a good bushy top is going to do that feeding back into the system.

It's just the flower heads that get cut off.
Generally, plants tend to be stronger if they aren't allowed to flower in their first year.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 21:09 »
Update. So as of end of February I have lost three of the plants due to rotting in the soil. I think this was due the very cold temperatures at the beginng of Feb freezing the the cut down stalks. It looks like I have 4 or 5 plants left that were better covered, so hopeful I will get some produce of them this year. Shame as they produced some really good globes last year in their first year. I grew them from seed in January last year and they were croping in the summer, so was really pleased, so not happy that I destroyed a good percentage of them!  :(

I will not be cutting down again based on this and what others here have said.

Artichoke are probably one of my favorite veg and definitely worth growing if you have room.

xx
Globe Artichokes

Started by Beetie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 22:05
by Chaz1985
xx
Globe Artichokes

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 16:01
by gobs
xx
Globe artichokes

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 20:40
by tode
xx
Artichokes (Globe)

Started by ted_woodley on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 07, 2006, 09:34
by ted_woodley

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 33 queries.