help wanted beer homebrew,yeast

• 4 Replies

kennykoala

help wanted beer homebrew,yeast
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:47 »
G,day all just made my 2nd batch of beer,the use by date was 2007 i made the batch sprinkled the dry yeast on top of brew, waited for it to start working,after 24hrs nothing happened no bubbling out of tell tale,went next door to my nieghbors asked is advice he siad put in a fresh satchet of dried yeast which i have done,its now bubbling away.my ? is will this make any difference to the final brew by adding the extra satchet of yeast,thakyou all for advice. ;)
g,day from d/under I love my vegie patch,

Stripey_cat

Re: help wanted beer homebrew,yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 20:03 »
It shouldn't be a problem, unless the first yeast was contaminated.  If it was just that the packet had got too hot or whatever, but was still sealed, it should be fine.

SG6

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 20:04 »
Wouldn't think so as the yeast multiplies anyway. All you do is put in sufficent to get it going. The yeast eats the sugar, multiplies and in the process makes alcohol. (that spelling looks wrong). Eventually either you kill the yeast or the alcohol level kills off the yeast.

A lot of the sediment is dead yeast and there is more sediment then the packet of dried yeast.

shirazcat

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:58 »
Hi all,
          Ideally you should make up a yeast starter, rather than add dry yeast directly to the brew. To do this is very simple, when the brew is redy for the yeast, get a large wine glass, half fill with warm water, dissolve half a teaspoon of sugar in it (I use caster as it dissolves faster) then sprinkle on top the sachet of yeast. cover this with a lid, leave in the warm for 10 or 15 mins, it should be quite frothy by then, stir it up & add to the brew.
 This will get the fermentation going quicker, this is very important as the most dangerous time for worts to get infected with airborne bacteria is before the fermentation really gets going & gas is being given off.
                                                                                       Adrian.
life is too short for work

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 11:11 »
Hi, i agree with Shirazcat i always start my yeast off in warm water ( not too warm ) it also hydrates the yeast which gives you a quicker start to your ferment.

Keep on a troshing J W

xx
homebrew beer temp

Started by amurdin on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 15:55
by flitwickone
xx
Homebrew Here I Go!!!

Started by digital_biscuit on Homebrew

13 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 18:13
by Yabba
xx
help about yeast

Started by mrsbean on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2012, 23:07
by ilan
xx
Yeast

Started by digital_biscuit on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post December 22, 2008, 20:32
by SG6

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.