Ponds on Allotments

• 19 Replies

standfree

Ponds on Allotments
« on: June 16, 2009, 16:14 »
Hi

I really want to build (or should that be dig?) a pond on my allotment.  I know how to go about it and encourage the pond to evolve.  Although any advice would be great.

The one aspect I'm concerned about is the 'etiquette' of it!  Is is acceptable to build a pond on an allotment?  I've never seen one and while I don't mind what others think I'd like to be a good neighbour.  In other words will others sneer at the wasted plot taken up by a pond and some frogs rather than growing crops?

So, is it acceptable in general?

Thanks

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: Ponds on Allotments
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 16:29 »
there are quite a few ponds on our site of various construction. Mine is an old purple (yes, purple!!  ???) bath that I sunk into the ground. I put the plug in and it filled with rainwater over the winter. It is at the back of my plot, out of the way by the compost bins. I just wanted to encourage frogs as they are good predators and so far, every year there has been frogspawn in the pond, along with allsorts of other pond life. Ain't nature great!  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 16:42 »
I am hoping to install a small pond on my plot to encourage frogs but have never done this before... might pop onto freecycle to see if anyone is digging up a plastic moulded one to reduce costs  :happy:

philskin

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 18:04 »
i just used some silage sheet with carpet underneath ,got plenty of baby frogs in it now ,roll on next year when their fully grown frogs

If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

standfree

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 21:21 »
Nice one.

Right, I'm doing it!

I'm renovating a flat at the moment but unfortunately the bath that was outside for months was uplifted...  Yesterday!  Just a traditional white bath.  Not purple I'm afraid!  Where the hell did you get a purple bath or should I not ask!   ;)

Thanks for the feedback everyone.   :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 21:37 »
Don't build a pond until you have checked the rules first, they might not be allowed. ;)
Cheese makes everything better.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 21:50 »
Ive built a pond and the local school that have a plot on our site come to look at it on the odd visit they make to the site.  Its not very big but big enough to be full of bug and 4 fish.  Its starting to look a touch better now there is some more plant life in there it was very brown and yukky.

Go for it crack on and get digging.
Thanks
Kris

standfree

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 21:54 »
Cheers Ice.

Without a doubt.  Like I said I want to be a good neighbour.  But I've not met a soul from the allotment yet!  Only got it on 1st of June and every time I've been up nobody has been there...

Funnily enough Rangerkris the allotment is close to 2 schools.  Fingers crossed I can get a properly disgusting and filthy pond!

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 21:59 »
I left the fish for a while as i added some spawn from one of the ponds at work, the frogs seem to have moved on so i added the fish on Friday last week along with some oxegenating plants and the water is changing fast looking much better.

Most people seem to like the pond but i done it for my 2 children more than anything to keep them interested if we get frogs that will eat slugs its an added bonus  :dry:

standfree

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 22:04 »
Likewise.  I have a little girl and hope in a couple of years that she'll be interested in it.  Especially the little frogs and Lilypads etc...

Will the fish not eat any future frog spawn though?

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 06:21 »
Yes quite possible, but i think having the children more intrested at the moment than frog spawn is more benifical for me and the children at this time.  It gives them some thing else to watch and look at while they are there.  Its wise to have a cover over the pond aswell as i know my 2 like to play near the pond.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 12:34 »
Nice one.

Right, I'm doing it!

I'm renovating a flat at the moment but unfortunately the bath that was outside for months was uplifted...  Yesterday!  Just a traditional white bath.  Not purple I'm afraid!  Where the hell did you get a purple bath or should I not ask!   ;)

Thanks for the feedback everyone.   :)

someone dumped it on my plot! Ones man's rubbish is another man's gold.  :)

Kieron

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 09:39 »
If  your not allowed a pond you might be allowed a barrel or sink. After all if your allowed a water butt I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed a barrel or sink.

My parents did something with an old butlers sink which had a few fish in and the odd frog many years back. It looked like they covered it with cement to give it a rough stone look and placed stones and plants before filling with water.

standfree

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 10:59 »
Disaster!

The council lady I deal with has said I am 'not permitted to build a pond or sink a bath'.  She gives no reason but that's that then.

I do like the idea of the butlers sink though.   ;)  I may sneakily have one of those somewhere!

Bombers

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 11:29 »
Disaster!

The council lady I deal with has said I am 'not permitted to build a pond or sink a bath'.  She gives no reason but that's that then.

I do like the idea of the butlers sink though.   ;)  I may sneakily have one of those somewhere!

A.K.A. 'A sunken waterbutt'!  :tongue2: :tongue2: ;) :lol:

edited to add, but can't condone it because 'elf 'n safety might condemn, on the grounds that someone might fall in and drown themselves. ::) Sorry about that Standfree.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:33 by Bombers »
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

xx
Let's see your ponds!

Started by stickmeup on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 17:04
by diospyros
clip
New to allotments

Started by Wellington on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 18:41
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Regenerating old allotments.

Started by Jakell on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 11:36
by jack russell
question
Materials Allowed on Allotments

Started by ThamesPlotter on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2021, 08:54
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.