What breeds do you have and which do you think are the best?

• 33 Replies

lucyeff

I'm must admit I was a little crestfallen when I found out that the three chickens we're adopting are ISA browns (after I googled them they seem to be the common all garden ones), as I'd always fancied the white ones with black speckles (not sure of type, probably loads like that!). I feel a bit rotten admitting it but then again, it might just be cos I'm a girl who likes the fancy ones! I've heard they're friendly and hardy, etc, though so I should think meself lucky..

I just was curious what type you all had and which do you think are hardiest/most endearing/nicest looking/most vicious and next for the pot? Just in case we were to get some more later.. :wink:

Luce

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 15:01 »
welsummers and buff orp banties ...  :lol:  :lol:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 15:15 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  How did I KNOW you would say that  :wink:

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 15:16 »
ERRRRRRRRRRRRM  :roll:

milliebecks

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 15:45 »
In my fairly limited experience, the hybrids (like ISA Browns and Black Rocks) are pretty laid back and friendly - probably more so than pure breds, although they vary hugely from breed to breed.
My absolute favourites for entertainment value and friendliness are pekin bantams - although there's not much meat on them and the eggs don't fit in your egg cup  :roll:

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Silkies!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 18:51 »
I have black silkie bantams and they're totally gorgeous! There all fluffy and cuddly! I also have some partridge ones that are also lovely. Silkies have really soft feathers that look like fur and they're what it says on the packet...silkie soft! A couple of them think I'm the cockerel and come for cuddles whenever they see me. They are also great broodies and kids love them too! They lay well and are gentle natured so pecking, fighting etc just doesn't ever seem to happen. if you want birds that are decorative, friendly etc etc...unless you're after birds to eat, I'd recommend silkies.

Judi

Jellyhead

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 19:18 »
I agree with my fellow Frenchie :) i also have Wyandotte Bantams though and they are very pretty and tame. They lay surprisingly large eggs for their size. I love em. I have 4 or 5 different colours and there are a lot more to choose from.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 19:28 »
I have a Rhode Island (Gary) 3 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Gold laced Orpingtons, 5 Black Rocks, 2 Polish Bantums, a Hybrid and 4 Gold Lace Orpington chicks and 2 Welsummers....  now did I forget anyone???
werks for me  :lol:  :lol:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 19:59 »
LOVE the new avatar, Lucy!

I just have 3 ISA browns but am looking to expand to some rarer breeds as soon as I can.  

I thought about having Black Orpingtons to start because they're beautiful - but as I'm a novice that's going to have to wait for a while!

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 20:12 »
Quote from: "slowef"
I have a Rhode Island (Gary) 3 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Gold laced Orpingtons, 5 Black Rocks, 2 Polish Bantums, a Hybrid and 4 Gold Lace Orpington chicks and 2 Welsummers....  now did I forget anyone???

werks for me  :lol:  :lol:
OYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY lay off me tag  :lol:

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 21:06 »
Sorry Munty couldn't resist

xx :lol:  :tongue2:

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 21:23 »
I think the "white ones with black speckles" maybe light sussex (which I've got in bantam variety).  Wierdly enough I always wanted "proper" brown chooks (which I think isa browns are)but they are too big for my garden.
Light sussex are lovely, do owt for a treat so are becoming tamer, they are meant to be hardy too.
Saying that am hoping they will go broody next year as I might get some silkie eggs to hatch.  They remind me a bit of ostrichs!  They've got lovely brown eyes too.  (I definitely need to get out more :lol: )
Ness x

agapanthus

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 21:35 »
Big old brahmas and pekins for me.  :D  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 22:46 »
At the moment, we only hvae 6 Bovans Goldline hybrids and 300 Amberlinks, most of them 6 week old chicks (They are 6 weeks today!  Happy birthday dear chickies!!!!)  But I like them because they are white and look nice walking round.  Some of them have varying bits of brown in them but that gives them a little character!

7 of the 12 POL's are now laying, so we are getting there!!!!

lucyeff

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 10:36 »
Mornin everyone!  :D

It's great finding out about all these different breeds - we met a lady on the local allotment yesterday who has 56 silkies (four goats, some dwarf ducks, cancun pigs - we've been going with Daisy and Lilian to visit them cos we can't afford Cannon Hall!).

She's a veterinary nurse having her close by will come in handy (she said, as I've read on here, that vets don't know much about chickens - they ring her on a weekend for advice!).

I must admit, I think I've fallen for the pekin bantams..esp the lavender ones. I bet they're the dearest  :roll:  How much do these usually cost? There's an ad on the net for a trio of white ones for £25, is that about the norm?

I'm in Wakefield, I'm wondering whether Selby or Penistone auctions might be best too for when we've got to grips and might want more... not sure if Penistone is still on though, I'll have to get my dad to find out as his mate is a regular.

Are there any breeds that you'd avoid?

Lucy

ps Si is out in the frost doing the chicken coop/run. So I'm off to mums with the kids cos I keep interrupting him to get him to have a look at pictures of chickens on the net. I even DREAMT about chickens last night, sad * I am.  :shock:  We pick them up tomorrow!  :D

xx
Are all Large Breeds Broody Breeds?

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 22:09
by uba
xx
the best breeds

Started by Dream Field on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 19:11
by Pretty Chick
xx
Different Breeds

Started by foggle007 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 09:19
by klawler
xx
what breeds to go for??

Started by jackie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 12:09
by joyfull

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 38 queries.