Alko MH5001R

• 9 Replies

Alfie

• Experienced Member
    • Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Club
Alko MH5001R
« on: December 18, 2008, 11:00 »
Just aquired one of these beasties ... it was cheap ... Christmas prezzy from me to me   :lol:  
Anyway the problem is that it's got a B&S Soverign 375 engine fitted. When you go to start it, it kicks back like a mule & rips the start cord handle out of my hand with a vengance .... it really does make the fingers sting ... any ideas ??

Edit ... Does this engine have a shear key on the flywheel ???

Could be that the timing has slipped into wrist breaker mode ???
Graham

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law

Gwiz

Alko MH5001R
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 16:22 »
sounds to me like the flywheel key (made of aluminium)has indeed sheared.
Is this a new machine or second hand?

Alfie

• Experienced Member
Alko MH5001R
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 18:21 »
Hi Gwiz, The machine is second hand, one of those bargains that no normal sane male person could refuse   :roll: :lol:
Had a look at the build plate and it says 2002 vintage, so it's only a youngster  :wink:
Are the keys readily available ?

Gwiz

Alko MH5001R
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 18:42 »
the keys can be got from any mower repairer. If you have a load of trouble getting one, let me know. I know I've got some somewhere!
They shouldn't cost you more than £1.
An 02 model, EH? that's "brand new" in comparrison to some of the "AHEM" ( clears throat ) Veteran ( said quietly, to avoid upsetting anyone ) , machinery I often read about on here.
I expect that the machine hit something solid, and that's why you are having a little trouble with it now.
There are a lot of back posts in the machinery section about how to get at the keyway/ points (which yours won't have). If you can't find them, or need any more help, then please yell out!. :D
You should only have to take off the recoil housing ( 3 small bolts ), and then the recoil cup (unscrews anti clockwise)
Good luck.

Alfie

• Experienced Member
Alko MH5001R
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 19:25 »
Thanks for the info Gwiz, greatly appreciated.
Is there a central bolt / nut that holds the flywheel on / left or right hand thread ? (going back to my moped days)  :lol:
Any tips on flywheel removal ?

Gwiz

Alko MH5001R
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 05:29 »
just to be sure, can you post a picture of the engine?
There is a side starter (vertical pull) and a top starter ( horizontal pull ).
T'would be handy to know which one you have..... :wink:

Alfie

• Experienced Member
Alko MH5001R
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 12:47 »
Hi Gwiz, just popped the starter cover off and had a look at the key. The key looks like it hasn't sheared, but rolled, if that makes sense.
I've got the flywheel soaking in WD40 and when I get chance i'll make a puller to remove the flywheel. Looking from the top of the crank, you could quite easily miss the fact that the key has rolled, it looks like only 2 or 3 degrees.

Bad photo's below.......
Pic 3 shows the key in place, pic 4 shows the springs for the govenor / throttle ?  These need replacing as they are well stretched.

Alfie

• Experienced Member
Alko MH5001R
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 19:11 »
Woot .... finally sorted it  :D

I started to get really desperate with this flipping thing, I've had the flywheel off half a dozen times, checked everything, go to start it and boy does it kick back, it rips the starter cord out of your hand, even with glove on it hurts like hell  :?  

It was reaching the point where I was getting frightened to try to start it  :roll:

Had a chat with a very helpful man at Briggsbits and after he stopped laughing and my aversion to pain, he went on to explain that the problem would probably be the belt drive pulley on the end of the crank being loose. I must admit I was a bit sceptical, but he also said it can happen with rotary mowers with the blade being loose. Off I trot to the have a look at the beast, socket on the flywheel, spanner on the drive pulley nut, managed to get half a turn. on with 2 gloves on my right hand  (it hurts), deep breath .... voila !!!!

Starts like a dream  :D

Tis WITCHCRAFT i tell ya   :roll:

Rang the very nice maan back & thanked him  :wink:

Alfie

• Experienced Member
Re: Alko MH5001R
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:43 »
Quick update .......

Took it out for a play down the lotty before Christmas, really dissapointed with it. The engine is still not right as it still tries to break your fingers when starting  >:(
Had a chat to a mate of mine who has a similar engine and his is a pussy compared to this monster, so I guess there is still something amiss  ???

Anyway started her up (wearing 2 gloves on your mit is essential) and off we went. After 1hr, my arms were 6 inches longer and I'd had enough. The flipping thing rips out of your hands when it diggs in and takes off, not a happy bunny.

Back to base, cup of coffee while my arms tried to return to their normal length, much cursing and bingo ..... need a digging spike or spur, stupid I know, but there wasn't one with it when I bought it and the hitch was missing as well. I am only used to using a Mantis, which has neither    ::)

So a couple of days ago I made a hitch and spur after I had rung the AL-KO dealers to get a price which made my eyes water  :blink:

Oh, also made a plough / ridger, dead easy, 10mins with a plasma cutter & vola !!!

Question is will it work ?

How long before my knuggles stop dragging on the ground ?

Was my OH joking when she said I should have tied it to another bit of my anatomy   :blush:

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
Re: Alko MH5001R
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 11:15 »
From my motor-cycling days (we did our own tuning those days). If your flywheel has been slightly loose it will have worn the key and that needs replacing. Aluminium keys? ours were always mild steel and I've only known very rare occasions when a key had to be replaced. Two strokes had a fixed cam, but the four strokes usually had a tunable timing cam. One machine (a Triumph of late 1920's) had a Vernier tuning system. Industrial engines usually have a fixed cam like the two strokes. With the development of electronic timing the timing is designed into the engine.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 19:09 by Larkshall »

xx
ALKO 350-4

Started by Gwiz on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 14:12
by Gwiz
xx
ALKO rotorvator

Started by MontyTom on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post July 26, 2007, 17:02
by MontyTom
xx
ALko brushcutter

Started by Celtic Eagle on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 09:32
by Celtic Eagle
xx
alko farmer 3500 cultivator

Started by vron on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 05, 2014, 08:11
by R Tallentire

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 34 queries.