Mantis tillers...Yes or No???

• 46 Replies

Gwiz

Re: Mantis tillers...Yes or No???
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 16:15 »
I've always liked them, but I was given the ryobi equivalent FOC. I've never had any trouble with it.
Yes, stones do sometimes get lodged in the blades, but it only takes a moment to turn the engine off and deal with it.
Yes, it does struggle with compacted soil, but then That's my fault 'cos I'm too damn lazy to get the bigger rotavator going.
Would I buy one? You betcha! Anything is better than digging with a spade (I have spine problems)
This is the same thing as with any gardening question. Ask a group of ten gardeners the same question and get fifteen different answers. ::)

Spana

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 16:53 »
)
This is the same thing as with any gardening question. Ask a group of ten gardeners the same question and get fifteen different answers. ::)

You're right. 25 years ago and asked the same question i would have said 'no way, i've got better things to spend that sort of money on'.
 Back then i could dig, lift heavy weights, and work a 16 hour day without pain. Now anything that enables me to keep gardening on my own is on my wish list.  :)

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 23:52 »

Thanks for all the input folks...we're lucky because the soil at the allotments is so light, it's like potting compost, so I don't see any problems there....there are no stones either. So this weekend I've put in an order for a 4 stroke one....fingers crossed it'll all work out fine.
I can see what a PIA it would be on hard, clay ground...and if you did have stones and then I would think better of it and stick with the Merry Tiller..

BJ

By the sounds of it, you have ideal soil conditions for the Mantis to work perfectly and I am sure you will enjoy using it :)   Let us know how you get on with it, and how you rate it when you have used it. 
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

candygold1

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 21:05 »
my friend dropped his mantis round for me today to try on my raised beds. to say i was impressed would be an understatement it took me all of an hour to do the whole lot and will give it another going over in a few weeks time and should have some nice fine soil then. i will be getting one asap as after 2 hip replacements the digging is very hard for me.

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 09:39 »

Back then i could dig, lift heavy weights, and work a 16 hour day without pain. Now anything that enables me to keep gardening on my own is on my wish list.  :)

Same here my friend...I'm 66 this year and still do up to 15 hours a day 3 times a week, and 11 - 12 hours a day the other 2,  so this mantis is going to be a God send for me and my girl.

I will be getting one asap as after 2 hip replacements the digging is very hard for me.

If you are looking to buy one Candygold it may be worth your while taking a look at this site
HERE FOR THEM

I did a lot of searching for the best price,  these guys came out tops...I got the garden package with the plough, and a couple of other bits thrown in for £390... money well spent I think.

BJ

"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

candygold1

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 14:19 »
thanks for the link ive just found one of the 2 stroke models local for a very good price :D and as i restore old 2 stroke motorbikes i can do all the repairs myself so even better.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 17:06 »
My firend bought a Mantis a couple of years ago, and it looks like he's only used it once. Now he's given it to me in exchange for a few beers! I haven't tried it yet, but I will let you know how it performs.

My plot was virgin territory, but I have taken a large rotovator over it before winter and then covered it with horse manure. I'll see how the Mantis performs in the next couple of weeks!
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

Spana

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 19:29 »
I bought mine direct from them last year and  they say you can return then any time in the first year and get your money back. So if you are thinking of buying one you have 12months to give it a good try out.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 11:22 »

I'd definitley  have a mantis . My daughter bought me one two years a go from ebay

It won't clear grassed or heavily weeded areas as they wrap around the tines, but is ideal for

somewhere that has already been turned over ,and to break down to a tilth .

It is quite easy to use and  you might want ear plugs.

Also the tines ars guaranteed for a lifetime against breaking .

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 18:35 »
I have one and it is great for what it is................A Tiller!
It's not a Rotavator and does not perform as such!
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 07:24 »

Well the mantis is now put together and waiting for the sun to come up later... :lol:  so that we can at last get stuck into the plot.
Got thing to sort out like the shed, it's small but needs a couple of braces to stiffen it,  I think a good wind will blow it over into Worcestershire.. The Memsahib wants somewhere to make a brew and bacon butties for our 11's, so looks like that is my first job for this morning.

So much to do.....so little time.. :lol:

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 20:06 »

Same here my friend...I'm 66 this year and still do up to 15 hours a day 3 times a week, and 11 - 12 hours a day the other 2,  so this mantis is going to be a God send for me and my girl.

I will be getting one asap as after 2 hip replacements the digging is very hard for me.

If you are looking to buy one Candygold it may be worth your while taking a look at this site
HERE FOR THEM

I did a lot of searching for the best price,  these guys came out tops...I got the garden package with the plough, and a couple of other bits thrown in for £390... money well spent I think.

BJ

It's cheaper by looks of it cos you don't get the border edger with it, like you do from Mantis website.  Not that it's something I think most people will miss, I have never used mine!

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 05:31 »

"GrowinGrowinGone
It's cheaper by looks of it cos you don't get the border edger with it, like you do from Mantis website."

Now that's very strange... :unsure: because I did get the edger (for that price) as we have a lawn at home. It looks like they've taken it out of the deal, since last week.

desford

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 18:57 »
I bought a Mantis but thankfully they have a returns policy, I found it difficult to start and I wasn't impressed with the performance so I returned it. Now I have a Honda FG201 more expensive but what a wonderfull machine, the difference between a Ford and a Rolls.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 17:27 »
I have one and it is great for what it is................A Tiller!
It's not a Rotavator and does not perform as such!

Today I fired up the Mantis and gave it a good run around the plot. Nigel is absolutely correct in what he says. It's too light to rotovate (even though it does try!), but as for tilling it is indeed wonderful. The only issue I can find with it (which is easily changed) is that the ignition switch is located just above the right handle, and that makes it easy to switch it off by mistake while you're handling it. Other than that - top notch! 9/10

xx
Mantis Tillers

Started by Sparkyrog on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 19:42
by Sparkyrog
angry
cheap mantis tillers

Started by daveylamp on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 07:16
by Rangerkris
xx
Mini tillers mantis v honda fg110

Started by neal on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 16:49
by neal
xx
Merry Tillers

Started by Ice on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 20:09
by shaun

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 36 queries.