Wilkinsons elderberry wine kit - when to add the flavouring????

• 13 Replies

composthappens

Ive just bought an Elderberry wine kit from Wilkos. Ive noticed there is a sachet of elderberry flavouring in the kit, but no where in the instructions does it say when to add it. Anyone know when to add the flavouring? Many thanks ;)

grinling

Is this wilkinsons own brand because the youngs I used didn't have that bit in it.
I would email wilkinsons.

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member

I would add it when the fermentation is over....as you say it's only a flavouring. 
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Growster...

I'd chuck it in now, because it may need a bit of sorting out during fermentation.

We always use dried elderberries and boil the juice out of them, and after about four or five boils, they go colourless anyway.

I bought some Wilkos stuff, and it was fine, but as Capt Zero says, it's only a flavouring, which makes me wonder what the main stuff is...?

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
as Capt Zero says, it's only a flavouring, which makes me wonder what the main stuff is...?

Now you've got me thinking the same Growster...I'm an all grain brewer for my sins... :lol: I know what goes in my brews.  I only do the odd gallon or so of wine. Last year I did do a top brand German wine kit, now the kit is concentrated wine juice. The same with extract brewing..concentrated wort...so what's in a tin of elderberry wine??? are they boiling up and concentrating elderberries??? I don't know!!!!! if they are why the flavouring???

Edit...just done a search on this and it is grape juice in fact....so the "flavouring" is just that and nothing more.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:29 by Capt Zero »

Growster...

as Capt Zero says, it's only a flavouring, which makes me wonder what the main stuff is...?

Now you've got me thinking the same Growster...I'm an all grain brewer for my sins... :lol: I know what goes in my brews.  I only do the odd gallon or so of wine. Last year I did do a top brand German wine kit, now the kit is concentrated wine juice. The same with extract brewing..concentrated wort...so what's in a tin of elderberry wine??? are they boiling up and concentrating elderberries??? I don't know!!!!! if they are why the flavouring???

Edit...just done a search on this and it is grape juice in fact....so the "flavouring" is just that and nothing more.

The plot thickens, doesn't it Captain!

So you might just as well buy red grape juice from Twongos, and add a little bottle of the essence which you can buy in any wine-making shop!

I'll be in the Maidstone Wine Making centre on Tuesday, so I'll ask them what they think!

(They'll not mind me asking because I'll pop the questions right after I've paid a squillion splonders for all the stuff I have on my list...;0)

Seriously though, Compost, if you can get the dried berries, you can make a smashing red wine from them, and we've been doing that since the early 1970s! You might find that a few more berries gives the wine much more depth, but the amounts I mention are just fine!

If you want the recipe, there's one here, http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=77564.0

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
The beer forum I'm on as a wine section where white & red grape juice is the base for a load of recipes.
I'm going to give this recipe of yours a try....  Growster

I don't do enough fruit wines.....will have to make an effort this year with both elderflower and berry wines.

Growster...

The beer forum I'm on as a wine section where white & red grape juice is the base for a load of recipes.
I'm going to give this recipe of yours a try....  Growster

I don't do enough fruit wines.....will have to make an effort this year with both elderflower and berry w

Goferit, Cap!

Promise you'll not regret it!

Auntiemogs

That sounds interesting Growster.....I don't suppose you know the equivalent in un-dried elderberries (have some in the freezer)?  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
That sounds interesting Growster.....I don't suppose you know the equivalent in un-dried elderberries (have some in the freezer)?  :)

I would think that you would use them in the same amount as fresh one Auntiemogs...I did 23 liters of rhubarb last year (first time in 30 years) when I had the weight I needed, I then froze the barb for 48 hours which helps to break down the cells of the plant. So I'd thaw them and go from there....well worth a try. ;)

Brian

composthappens

Thank you everyone, i am not sure what base was used in this kit, I think it was either elderberry or just black grapes.  Anyway, it has stopped fermenting so i have now added the stabaliser and some other powder as per instructions and the flavouring. I couldnt resist and try a tiny sip.  Yuk!! tase like vinegar. Lets hope it gets better with age eh  :D

Growster...

I tried it a couple of years ago, Moggie, and used 6lb 4oz of fresh berries to make about 3.5 gals.

To be honest, it wasn't that fantastic, and I made a huge note not to bother again!

But the recipe is about right with about 2 lbs berries per gallon, and some grape juice as a 'filler'!

Growster...

Thank you everyone, i am not sure what base was used in this kit, I think it was either elderberry or just black grapes.  Anyway, it has stopped fermenting so i have now added the stabaliser and some other powder as per instructions and the flavouring. I couldnt resist and try a tiny sip.  Yuk!! tase like vinegar. Lets hope it gets better with age eh  :D

Ooooh... do you really mean vinegar, or is it just 'sharp'?

Can you pop a hydrometer into it?

taytors

• Experienced Member

put it  in when fermentation as finshed when you add the finnings and stabiliser thats what i do. :)
scrumpy is organic and one of your five a day.

xx
Elderberry wine

Started by rugbymad40 on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 19:54
by Jay Dubya
xx
Elderberry wine.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Homebrew

18 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 21:14
by Damson
xx
elderberry wine

Started by mushroom on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 07:57
by symond steve
xx
Blackberry/Elderberry Wine....

Started by HelenK on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 22:37
by SG6

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 36 queries.