Re: Onions from seed - 2015

• 378 Replies

Salmo

« Reply #330 on: July 31, 2015, 07:54 »
Luv onions, grow from sets, seeds and Japanese types from seed thro winter put sum in poly tunnel last year they only did same as them outside, luv experimenting thrown a lot away but that's gardening. Have a nice wet day everyone

What Japanese types do you grow from seed and when do you start them off?

Sow Japanese onions mid August.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #331 on: August 15, 2015, 15:17 »
I have just harvested the Kelsaes. The largest weighs 0.8kg and there are three just a tad smaller. The other look pretty decent too, and I am well pleased. I shall take a photo and show you when I can  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cadalot

« Reply #332 on: August 18, 2015, 05:50 »
As I had such good results with growing onions from seeds this year  I've sown my Japanese Senshyu onion seeds ready for over wintering and have read that Mid August is the time to start them off, but ideally when do you put them in the ground?
2015-08-18 Japanise Onions.jpg

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #333 on: August 18, 2015, 19:06 »
It's a numpty thing, but i am trying to figure out when to lift mine. About a third have fallen over and slugs are chomping away at their leaves. I had leaf miner on my shallots and am hoping damage on the onions will be minimal. :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #334 on: August 18, 2015, 19:38 »
As I had such good results with growing onions from seeds this year  I've sown my Japanese Senshyu onion seeds ready for over wintering and have read that Mid August is the time to start them off, but ideally when do you put them in the ground?

according to this site
http://www.seedaholic.com/onion-senshyu-yellow.html

Seeds can also be sown into trays 12mm (½in) deep and transplanted outdoors to their growing position by mid October. The roots must fall vertically in the planting hole and the bulb base should be about ½ in (1cm) below the surface. Plant firmly.

Good Luck!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #335 on: August 18, 2015, 22:27 »
My shallots just seem to be going on and on...and on
This one came out because it had fallen over onto the celeriac

WP_000832.jpg
Anne

chillimummy

« Reply #336 on: August 19, 2015, 17:54 »
Just been on hols for 2 weeks and can't believe how much my onions have grown. They were quite small 2 weeks ago but they are really big now and will harvest them next visit. Definitely will be growing them next year.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Goosegirl

« Reply #337 on: August 24, 2015, 11:30 »
It's a numpty thing, but i am trying to figure out when to lift mine. About a third have fallen over and slugs are chomping away at their leaves. I had leaf miner on my shallots and am hoping damage on the onions will be minimal. :wacko:
A couple of years ago mine were left in the ground rather late I thought and their leaves had gone about two-thirds yellow, but they stored far better than previous years. I'm sure I read some advice somewhere that said to leave them until they go like that. Most of mine have toppled over but their leaves are still green so I will leave them for the time being.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #338 on: August 24, 2015, 13:34 »
My banana shallots are just falling over without bending their necks.  I've checked the roots in case it is root rot but they are still firmly attached to the ground.  But they are very big, too big for a jam jar if I wanted to pickle them  :nowink:

I've sown some onion seed direct as an experiment, some Paris Early White. They can be started in January if nothing happens to the direct sown ones.

surbie100

« Reply #339 on: August 24, 2015, 13:58 »
A couple of years ago mine were left in the ground rather late I thought and their leaves had gone about two-thirds yellow, but they stored far better than previous years. I'm sure I read some advice somewhere that said to leave them until they go like that. Most of mine have toppled over but their leaves are still green so I will leave them for the time being.

Thanks GG!  :D Was in 2 minds whether to haul them up but I'll leave them now,

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #340 on: August 24, 2015, 22:48 »
I will be doing mine from seed next year for the very first time. Have always used sets before and been bitterly disappointed. But, with new plot comes new possibilities

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #341 on: August 25, 2015, 08:06 »
I will be doing mine from seed next year for the very first time. Have always used sets before and been bitterly disappointed. But, with new plot comes new possibilities

Come and join the onion club next year Rich  :)  I can't explain why it is so satisfying to turn a tiny little black seed into a glorious big brown onion, but it is  :lol:

Was in 2 minds whether to haul them up but I'll leave them now,

Good decision.  Stay your hand Surbie and wait a bit yet  :)

Mine are just starting to look a bit tatty, with the leaves turning brown at the ends and starting to lean at the necks, but I swear the rain over the last few days has swelled them up.  Another couple of weeks or so and I reckon they will be ready for lifting. 

surbie100

« Reply #342 on: August 25, 2015, 12:50 »
I am so keen on this now I have my seeds all ready for next year!  :D

The Ailsa Craigs are mostly enormous. Bigger than anything I usually see in the shops. I can't tell you how proud I feel when I walk past them.

Snoop

« Reply #343 on: August 25, 2015, 13:03 »
I can't tell you how proud I feel when I walk past them.

Just wait till you start cooking with them.  :D

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #344 on: August 25, 2015, 13:17 »
My shallots from seed have been a fantastic success...lovely big Zebrune shallots. The Kelsae have also done really well, they're enormous. The Ailsa Craig are ok, a reasonable size but nothing to get too excited about. The red onions are pants...very small and pathetic looking. They were all sown around the same time, had the same growing conditions and planted out at the same time. I think red onions just want to be awkward!  :)

xx
onions from seed

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2016, 09:09
by jambop
xx
Help Onions Run To Seed!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:13
by Donnay
xx
Onions from seed?

Started by Cavolo Hero on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 11, 2024, 16:30
by cc
xx
Onions from Seed

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 02, 2014, 16:30
by Eightball

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 38 queries.