Re: Onions from seed - 2015

• 378 Replies

Robster

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2014, 16:36 »
Right, I'm pretty much prepared.  I have installed my propagator in the back room set it to 18 degrees.  I have commandeered a daylight lamp from my daughters beauty business.  I have put the compost in the seed trays ready to sow in a day or so.  I think. I'll go for New Years Day for sowing.

Anyway a bit phased by the recent discussion about what to do when I plant them on into pots.  I've only got an unheated greenhouse or cold frame that is suitable.  Oooerr I'm feeling the pressure now.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2014, 18:59 »
Mine live on the kitchen window sill once germinated as there is no heating in there.  Then they get transplanted and go out to the unheated greenhouse.  I've got a 4 tier blowaway that I use inside the greenhouse for extra protection at first :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2014, 19:01 »
My compost is frozen solid as I forgot to bring it in so sowing is being delayed by a day or two until it has thawed out and warmed through a bit too.

Silly me!!  :blush:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

trunk monkey

« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2014, 22:07 »
Following moderate success with Bedfordshire Champion last year I am going for Kelsae this year (for show). I sowed on the 27th December now at 18 degrees in the propagator. I have a growlight and timer on standby. I have overwintering sets of Electric and Radar in the allotment for eating. Happy new onions to the forum.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2014, 20:24 »
Mine are already starting to germinate, ready to welcome in the New Year  :D  :D  :D

cadalot

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2015, 07:03 »
Mine are already starting to germinate, ready to welcome in the New Year  :D  :D  :D

New Shoot - if I recall correctly you are a growhouse in a greenhouse man and not a heated greenhouse so have you jumped the gun re moving on and out of the house?

I have received some heavy duty ex nursery trays and have cut down to size to fit a normal sized tray ready for sowing but following DD's advice I'm holding back until late Jan / early Feb as I don't have anywhere warm enough to move them on too once they germinate.

The modules are approx. 20mm x 20mm x 30mm deep and there are 112 modules in a standard tray size, so I'm not sure how long they can stay in them until they will need to be moved up to vending machine cups? any guidance appreciated
2015-01-01 Onion Seed Tray.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2015, 07:59 »

New Shoot - if I recall correctly you are a growhouse in a greenhouse man and not a heated greenhouse so have you jumped the gun re moving on and out of the house?

Nope  :)  I am a woman with a plan that has worked fine for me the last couple of years  :)

Mine live on the kitchen window sill once germinated as there is no heating in there.  Then they get transplanted and go out to the unheated greenhouse.  I've got a 4 tier blowaway that I use inside the greenhouse for extra protection at first :)

Mine are on the dining room windowsill and will move to the kitchen shortly  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2015, 09:23 »
Nope  :)  I am a woman with a plan   :)

:lol: :lol:

cadalot

« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2015, 09:53 »
Sorry about the gender thing there New Shoot - As Python would say "Sorry I have a Cold"

Like comedy timing is everything, so can you enlighten me - Sow in what for how long, move into what then for how long and finally when do you move to the grow house in the greenhouse. I'm holding back as I want it to be warm enough for them to survive and enough light so they don't get too leggy, even with DD's tin foil reflector shield.

MrsPea

« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2015, 10:36 »
This was my Kelsea last year the biggest one weighed just over 1 1/2 lbs, I shall do the same this year hopefully I show this year, just of to set propagator up.  :)
Happy new year to you all 
004.JPG
I Love my green house

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2015, 10:44 »
with DD's tin foil reflector shield.

FWIW Flat white card (anything matt white, e.g. soemthing left over from a kitchen unit or a sheet of polystyrene) is apparently a better reflector than kitchen foil

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2015, 11:03 »
Sorry about the gender thing there New Shoot - As Python would say "Sorry I have a Cold"

Like comedy timing is everything, so can you enlighten me - Sow in what for how long, move into what then for how long and finally when do you move to the grow house in the greenhouse. I'm holding back as I want it to be warm enough for them to survive and enough light so they don't get too leggy, even with DD's tin foil reflector shield.

I'm pushed to give you exact timings as it will depend on the weather and how fast they grow  :)  They are in MP at the moment and will stay in their mini seed trays inside for a few weeks yet.  Tin foil reflectors will be constructed as well.

Then modules in more MP and out they go.  My greenhouse is in a sheltered spot, so I get away with them in there fairly early on in the year.  They are so slow growing, I will give them a liquid feed a couple of times before they graduate out to the plot  :)

If in doubt, hang on a bit.  There's plenty of time to sow if you think your growing on conditions will not be right.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2015, 11:18 »
I do have a quick question regarding those big onions, Alicia Craig, and Kelsae.  It's all good and well growing huge onions, but do they actually taste any good? do they store well?  I've never tasted either of those and just wondered from some of the those who have grown them. I know it's slightly off topic.
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2015, 11:36 »
They're both sweet mild onions - I love them, but if you prefer strong onions for cooking, then others are better.
Neither store right into winter and AC is better than Kelsae in my (limited) experience.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2015, 12:07 »
They're both sweet mild onions - I love them, but if you prefer strong onions for cooking, then others are better.
Neither store right into winter and AC is better than Kelsae in my (limited) experience.

xx
onions from seed

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 22:22
by gobs
xx
onions from seed

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2016, 09:09
by jambop
xx
Help Onions Run To Seed!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:13
by Donnay
xx
Help onions going to seed!?

Started by cheadleplotter on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:28
by yummy

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 38 queries.