Re: Onions from seed - 2015

• 378 Replies

Robster

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 04:51 »
I stalked this thread last year and was duly motivated by the challenge of growing from seed.  I've only grown from sets before and been reasonably happy.  So I have a packet of Bedfordshire Champion and I'm ready to go.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 06:39 »
Well welcome to the onion club Robster  :) 

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 07:28 »
Can I join in please? I know I am not at 'home' and don't have access to fancy modules and stuff, and wouldn't normally grow from seed, especially when the unknown sets in the market are only a quid a kilo. But I accidentally ordered some 'Tosca' seed from Real Seeds when they had their sale on at 25p a pack, drawn to the name for some reason. :lol:

They are a long variety, rather like a large shallot, supposed to be good keepers. We have the space, might as well give them a go. ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 07:57 »
I accidentally ordered some 'Tosca' seed

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Love it, as an excuse!

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 17:58 »
I will sow onion seeds for the first time this year too.
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 20:55 »
The more the merrier in my book, so welcome Tosca and Bing  :D

Some of us will start early in modules, as we get itchy fingers to play with seeds again, but the club is open to all, whenever and however you sow  :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 03:26 »
I will start everything early as we have an earlier spring....usually. After the year we have just had I hope we deserve a bit of a break.

dave43

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 09:15 »
red baron sets bolted last season so decided to collect the seed and have a go at sowing seed.
    results of seed sowing over last few years have been a disaster. never got to eat any seed sown onions. had to rely on sets for our crop.
have been forced into into an early start as seeds were starting to split ! and send out a root so put them in seed moduls and left to get on with it.
so have i started too early to join in
dave

BabbyAnn

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2014, 09:46 »
I'd really like to try growing Kelsae - a first for me - so just bought some seed (and a packet of Arthur F1 seeds fell in the basket too  ::))  Never done a Boxing Day sow so this should be interesting  :D

Snoop

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2014, 09:48 »
Can I join in too?

Last year I grew shallots from sets and seeds. This year I'll be growing solely from seeds in those flimsy modules Kristen hates, four to a module so the roots hold them together pretty well, and I won't be potting them on. I won't be growing them indoors but in cold frames. I'll be growing Zeebrune, Matador and Rouge de Niort, plus some Paris silverskin. The RdeN seeds came from Lidl - a bargain in comparison with shallot seeds from usual suppliers.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2014, 10:05 »
I'll be growing solely from seeds in those flimsy modules Kristen hates

:)

In fairness they have worked well for me with Onions, as I have had to uncoil the roots anyway when panting, so that I can plant them "vertical" rather than just pop the plug plants into a planting hole, so root disturbance haven't mattered.

My real hatred with the flimsy modules is for things that I then pot-up as there is so much root disturbance when trying to get the seedlings out that I think it slows the plant down at a time when I want it to crack on :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 10:07 »
red baron sets bolted last season so decided to collect the seed and have a go at sowing seed.
    results of seed sowing over last few years have been a disaster. never got to eat any seed sown onions. had to rely on sets for our crop.
have been forced into into an early start as seeds were starting to split ! and send out a root so put them in seed moduls and left to get on with it.
so have i started too early to join in
dave

There's no competitive element to this thread (well, not officially!  :)) so anyone growing onions from seed is welcome to join in.

Of course, anyone posting pics of giant onions by next May could find themselves a little less popular than they were before!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2014, 20:29 »
anyone growing onions from seed is welcome to join in.

Absolutely  :D  We are a relaxed bunch and its close enough to 2015 to allow an early start, so you're in as well dave43  :)

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2014, 18:24 »
and me too please  ::) I have always grown onions from seed because I feel besides more choice they bolt less then sets and I usually use root trainers, the ones that open out which are I confess getting a bit ropy after years of use.
marge
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2014, 18:46 »
Welcome aboard Marge  :)

xx
onions from seed

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2016, 09:09
by jambop
xx
onions from seed

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 22:22
by gobs
xx
Help Onions Run To Seed!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:13
by Donnay
xx
Onions from Seed

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 02, 2014, 16:30
by Eightball

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 40 queries.