Greenhouse glazing: "W" clips, silicone, or both?

• 4 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Greenhouse glazing: "W" clips, silicone, or both?
« on: March 11, 2011, 10:13 »
Made the mistake of opening the door of my greenhouse yesterday and a full-sized pane shattered with some force, taking out the smaller triangular one above it as well!  :(

I think the problem might have been that the large pane had a lot more visible flaws than average and might simply have not been strong enough to cope with the wind stresses (gale force winds yesterday!)

The local glazier told me they get a lot of "old folks" buying silicone sealant to fix their greenhouse windows in place; according to him it is flexible enough to allow for some frame movement and not stress the glass.

My greenhouse has only been up since last September although until yesterday had survived several gales using just the "W" clips to secure the glass; I am assuming that this allows a bit of "give" between the glass and the frame (the glass is seated on rubber glazing bead, by the way.)

I know people with plastic glazing often use silicone sealant to secure the panes but such materials are a lot more flexible than sheet glass and possibly need gluing into place rather than just surviving it.  :unsure:

What are your views on using silicone with glass (if you use it, how do you use it?)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

Re: Greenhouse glazing: "W" clips, silicone, or both?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:26 »
I had my greenhouse repaired last year and he didn't use any silicone. Mine needs seeing to again as I have one cracked pane and one completely smashed but the panes have slipped down into the guttering.  It's not easy getting them back into position and I'm dreading it.  I won't be using silicone though and will be using new clips. They're a devil on the fingers though

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 14:12 »
I won't be using silicone though and will be using new clips. They're a devil on the fingers though

2 pairs of pliers helps a lot with that job CQ (preferably fine-nosed and with rubberised handles.)

One pair to hold the clip down and the other to bend the ends under the lip (oh yes, and glasses/safety glasses because they can shoot off at speed if you get it wrong!)  8)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 14:16 »
Some 'ally' greenhouses have a circular groove cast into the sections in which a rubber tube sits giving an absorbing base / condition for the glass.  See if yours has this.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 14:27 »
Some 'ally' greenhouses have a circular groove cast into the sections in which a rubber tube sits giving an absorbing base / condition for the glass.  See if yours has this.   Cheers,   Tony.

Thanks Kleftiwallah, it does, as mentioned in my first post!  ::)

xx
"Glazing" A Greenhouse

Started by braders1234 on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 15:34
by missycat
xx
"W" clips and my trip to a garden centre.

Started by JayG on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 18:00
by mumofstig
xx
"Padding" concrete mix as base for IBC tank

Started by CDave on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post February 22, 2013, 06:26
by CDave
xx
Free floorboards and 8"x3" joists up to 4m long

Started by beeman on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 22:39
by daveinmanc

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.