URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!! My dogs attacked my chickens

• 58 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!! My dogs attacked my chickens
« on: September 10, 2010, 17:04 »
I've just got in from being out for the afternoon and my lab has got in the run, into the coop and attacked my chickens. Nellie is ok, she escaped out and was hiding under a piece of wood in the garden, but the other 3 were huddled together, filthy dirty, wings down, eyes closed and they all have a few wounds on their backs ond on their necks. I've picked them up and put them into the coop, no broken wings, but they're not well at all. Ones come wandering out and is having a peck at some corn I've put down, but the other 2 are just stood in the coop. Does anyone have any advice on waht I can do??? I havent got and purple spray, cant get any until tomorrow now. Can I use germolene, sudocrem, anything at all on them?? I feel sick and cant stop crying, it's so awful. Is there anything I can do for shock???
I'd locked them away, but Maisy got in by jumping up the door and the lock broke off.
Please ANY advice you can give me will be of great help.
My poor girls.
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!! My dogs attacked my chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 17:21 »
I'm so sorry about your hens, what a dreadful thing to happen. I'm sorry I know nothing about hens, but it sounds as if they are in shock. Someone will be along soon to help.

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 17:25 »
 Have you got any TCP or Savlon that you use for grazes? Unless the wound is very large, Id be tempted to just bathe with that and leave well alone until you can get either purple spray or antibiotic spray from the vets. You want it to dry off asap.
As you know, Ive had recent experience with dogs and Ive found that just leaving the girls to calm down on their own is best. In the dark and quiet. If you go messing around unnecessarily, it will just stress them further. Just leave them with plenty of water, a bit of food, and a treat, banana, apple, something like that.
GOOD LUCK, my thoughts are with you.

Maryx

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 17:40 »
I think Mary is right... treat their wounds and leave them in some peace and quiet to get over the stress. Oh and get another lock!
I hope they are ok? Accidents do happen.   :(
Alan

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 17:43 »
I don't want to panic you Carla but you should really be contacting a vet to get hold of an anti-biotic spray.  If you follow the links from Aunt Sally's Useful Poultry Information at the top of this page you'll find a list of chicken friendly vets. 

Dog's mouths hold nasty bacteria that infect a wound quickly so you need to act fast.  A vet will also be able to prescibe something for the pain and shock.  Dark and quiet is the next best thing, but you may lose them anyway if they are that traumatised  :(

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 18:04 »
My dog got into the run and licked one of my hens causing very sore looking skin.  The poor thing was bald!!  If there are wounds I would place them in a bath of warm water...they seem to like being bathed and it relaxes them.  This will allow you to wash the dirt out.  I then wrapped mine in a towel and at her on my lap for the evening in a darkened room with the tv sound down qwuite low.  She dried off OK.  You could use a hair dryer on a warm setting but I guess it depends how traumatised them are already.

If you don't havre purple spray I'd use some germoline or other mild antiseceptic.  Just keep them warm and quiet ---it depends how much they are use to being handled as to wether you bring them in like I did.

Good luck and please don't feel bad.  Accidents do happen but as long as you learn from them...

Kym x

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 18:08 »
arh carla, my thoughts are with you, as everyone has suggested they are probably completey in shock and will need time to recover, you can do no more but wait and see,  dont beat yourself up, accidents do happen love.   Let us know how they are in the morning.  nickyxxx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 18:09 »
Thanks everyone. They're not used to being handled, I've only had them 3 weeks. My sisters bringing some sterile bandages down, we're going to wash the wounds...2 have the skin totaly ripped off thier necks, bare wounds the size of a 50p piece. I'll put germolene on them and bandage them up, but thats all I can do. They're really traumatised, so I reckon I'm going to lose them anyway, but I'll do what I can to try and stop infection. There;s no skin there to heal though so I'm very doubtful that they can heal. So much for 'rescuing' them eh!

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 18:47 »
Hey Carla, you will get through this. Thinking of you. Sent you a pm. x

Fisherman

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 19:39 »
Chin up Carla, these things happen. Clean them up best you can and get some antiseptic on them as soon as possible. Keep them quiet in a dark place and let nature sort them out. If you can get them to a vet tomorrow it would be worthwhile. You did your best rescuing your hens in the first place.

Keep us all updated.

Thinking of you.

FM

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 19:47 »
I've TCP'd them and slathered them with germolene, locked them in the coop with food and water so I'll just have to see whats what in the morning. SUe doesnt look well at all, she's the least injured, but she wasnt well anyway so I dont think she'll last the night :(  The other two that have the ripped necks are eating and drinking, shock doesnt seem too much of an issue with them, it will be infection. Do chickens heal easily??  The pood dog doesnt know whats going on, she's been locked outside since I got back, and I can tell she was only playing as there's no puncture marks, its all been done with claws. SUppose I'd better let her in  :mad:

bantam novice

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 19:55 »
You've done the best you can and don't talk yourself into thinking otherwise.  What a horrid thing to happen  :(  Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 20:10 »
Hi Carla, your lab won't understand what she's done wrong, I hope this doesn't spoil your relationship with her. If she had meant any harm you would not have chooks now. Hope someone is helping you with your shock too. :mellow:

NormandyMary

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 20:18 »
One of my light sussex had a nasty rip on her back after my first fox or dog attack, it looked quite deep too and I was convinced that the following morning would be a harrowng experience. However, she survived the night and went on to make a full recovery (only to be killed the following week when it struck again..a real tragedy).
The chooks will rally round each other and look after each other, just look out for flies (bluebottles especially)in the henhouse, though now its a bit chillier there aren't so many around.
Im keeping everything crossed for you Carla and Ill be logging on early tomorrow morning to see how you and the chooks are coping.
Chin up.
Maryx

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 20:33 »
Chickens are very tough and what looks like a bad wound to us, heals well if kept clean.  Watch out for flies like Mary says and get some purple spray just to stop them pecking each other.

Please stop beating yourself up - it was an accident and your poor dog is not to blame either.  Just got overexcited and a dog's true nature came out.  Got my fingers and toes crossed for you and the girls  :)

xx
Chickens attacked

Started by henrys.hens on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 14:55
by henrys.hens
xx
Chickens attacked

Started by Mrs Mant on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 15:57
by Flowerpower136
sad
my chickens got attacked

Started by chickadizzle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 20:24
by chickadizzle
xx
chickens attacked by Harris Hawk

Started by chook mother on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 14:17
by freebirdy

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 36 queries.