Help, my pumpkin has turned orange!

• 5 Replies

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Help, my pumpkin has turned orange!
« on: August 30, 2013, 19:10 »
Yes, I know it is meant to turn orange eventually, but surely not yet? 

It is an Atlantic Giant that has been the expected straw colour so far, but suddenly changed colour this week. It's about football sized, so pretty pathetic really.

Does this mean that it will stop expanding as the skin ripens, and if I continue to feed and water it it might split or even explode  :lol:   

There are almost 8 weeks till the competition weigh in, so I will need to keep it going till then.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

Yana

Re: Help, my pumpkin has turned orange!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 19:16 »
I don't know about Atlantic Giant Gremlin, but my Jack O'Lanterns are orange already and don't seem to be getting any bigger, but I'm not the expert.  :ohmy:
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 19:38 »
Mine have all gone orange this week. Im sure they might add more growth if you keep feeding it. Im no expert as this is my first successful year with some big ones.
Kind Regards
Bill

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 21:05 »
My Mars all started going orange last week and are now well on their way. They had stopped expanding some time before that.  I shouldnt worry. Better to ripen than not ripen!  And they will store.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 07:49 »
Keep them on the vine for as long as possible, they will even take a very light grass frost (but letting them get this far is risky, as if its much more than that they could be damaged). This will ensure that they are fully ripe and as sweet as possible.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 11:49 »
Thanks for the replies.   I have other squash for eating and we wont have any shortage.

It is the first year I have tried growing a pumpkin purely for size and for fun.  It might make a Halloween lantern..... then it is compost.  I will probably try saving seed for next year although I don't know what flower pollinated it and I could get anything.

I haven't been able to find anything much on the internet about pumpkin ripening although there might be a suggestion that the skin takes about a month to fully harden.  It might need warmth AND sunshine, but I don't know which is more important.  It is is mostly sunshine for example I could try putting a black  bag over it.

A lot of the fun in gardening for me is finding out how to grow new stuff.  It has taken me three years to learn how to grow cucumbers, although it might not be me....just the good weather this summer.

xx
Blanched my sweetcorn, some of it turned orange???????

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 07:05
by vineweevil1
xx
when should compost be turned?

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post December 04, 2007, 16:06
by Selkie
xx
Why have aubergine turned brown?

Started by beey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 01, 2009, 07:51
by sunshineband
xx
Peas turned brown

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2017, 19:09
by DD.

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 28 queries.