BLind chicken

• 6 Replies

redjane11

BLind chicken
« on: December 17, 2011, 20:34 »
Hi,
I have noticed today that my blacktock hen has gone blind.
She is approx 2 years old( got her as a point of lay in June 2010)
She hasn't layed for a few months and seems to be in a very long slow moult.
Her eyes are not swollen or sore. Her comb and wattle are bright red and she appears to be healthy
She gets about round the garden and gets back into the coop at night on her own. I think she uses sound and follows her friend.
I say she is blind as she walks into things, you can pass your hand in front of her or offer her a treat but there is no reaction.
Could she have a deficenty of some vitimins or something.  She is fed on marriages layers pellets.. Oyster shell in bowl at all times.
Has anybody any ideas.
Adopt a chicken

jhub

• jane
Re: BLind chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 21:21 »
Hello, there was a lengthy discussion last year about an owner whose flock went blind. If Im not successful in pasting the link it was started in July 2010 by Blackrock lover and was posted as"Re: Chicken Needs Glasses"
Jane

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 22:53 »
Is she pecking at corn, but missing?

We had this with a couple of ours and it cleared up and their vision sorted itself out, but I can't remember whether we gave them anything. I'm afraid it was about a couple of years ago. They are perfectly fine though and still with us!

Sorry I couldn't be more help. If I can remember more, I will post again!
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

redjane11

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 16:37 »
she can hear her friend pecking so pecks, pecks at grass and i saw her eat some pelletts so she is getting some food. took herself to bed early today as it's been snowing then rain.
You can tap food against her beak but she not go for it. If you put food on path she will peck at the ground as she can hear the other one pecking, it's just aimless pecking.
Think I will worm them again but put the poweder in cat food (fishy food) hoping the smell will encourage her to peck at it.  At the moment I can't confin them as the run fence has been removed as we have redone a shed and the fence is not back in place yet. Roam the garden all day.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 23:10 »
There are a few diseases that can lead to blindness in hens.  Mareks disease is one, but there are others. 

My suggestion would be just to make sure she is getting the best nutrition and best lifestyle you can give her.  If you are unable to offer her the extra high-intensity care she needs then we will absolutely understand.  In that case you would be best to have her put to sleep.

I recently met a family who lives near me and has a blind hen.  Every day one of the family will go out to the coop and lift her off the perch and make sure she has had something to eat and drink.  The hen follows the other hens around during the day and does what they do, then at the end of the day one of the humans goes out and lifts her onto her perch to sleep.

When the children are home from school they will carry the blind hen around and help her to find worms etc.  When the family goes on holiday they take her with them!

This family says their hen is gradually losing weight, but they don't know if this is due to not being able to find enough food, or as a result of whatever illness caused her to go blind, or simply that she is rather old.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 23:19 »
Hello, there was a lengthy discussion last year about an owner whose flock went blind. If Im not successful in pasting the link it was started in July 2010 by Blackrock lover and was posted as"Re: Chicken Needs Glasses"
Jane

Here it is

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=60742.0

;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 21:46 »
Thanks ANHBUC
Jane

xx
Chicken going/gone blind

Started by colliebird on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 08:49
by colliebird
sad
'Blind chicken'

Started by Kezza on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 13:01
by Kezza
xx
Help with blind chicken in this weather

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 11:33
by joyfull
xx
Think my chicken has gone blind, advice please?

Started by krystal on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 09:07
by joyfull

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 39 queries.