composting couch grass, roots and other nasties.

• 12 Replies

Lardman

composting couch grass, roots and other nasties.
« on: March 29, 2009, 17:14 »
I've collected all the piles of plant material (couch grass, creeping butter cup, turf and dandelions)  together in a drop sack (which they nearly fill), I can stuff it out of the way for a year or so without problems, if it will eventually turn into compost or should I start decanting it into smaller bags and carting it off to the tip.

We don't have a green collection around here and its too wet to burn.

I've read it wont compost, it might compost, it will compost giving time..... oh so complex...

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
Re: composting couch grass, roots and other nasties.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 17:46 »
All perennial weeds  will compost ifyou can keep them  contained and exclude all light. The determination to survive is quite strong so it will take a year or two, but in the end you will get some  compost.
Perennial weeds can also be 'drowned' in a water butt or other suitable container ( apart from creeping buttercup which still grows ) and will make a very smelly liquid feed.
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

bendufeu

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 17:56 »
If you feel anger towards the stuff you could put it all in a metal container feed it some petrol then set it alight, that will finish it off for good.  But I suppose the previous mentioned idea is much more environmentally friendly.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 21:38 »
I know your post was probably somewhat tongue in cheek, bendufeu, but it's probably best never to recommend the use of petrol to start a fire.

Someone, somewhere, might just follow your advice and end up with singed eyebrows or worse !
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 22:34 »
I know your post was probably somewhat tongue in cheek, bendufeu, but it's probably best never to recommend the use of petrol to start a fire.

Someone, somewhere, might just follow your advice and end up with singed eyebrows or worse !
yes believe me this is true i got a little over zealous once and put a half can of petrol onto a somewhat oversized fire, not only did i lose my eyebrows and make my receding hairline somewhat worse, but it decided it would throw me a good 10 feet onto my bottom on a very large rock that wasnt at all comfortable.......  ::) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ouch never since done it for fear of looking older than i already do!
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 22:44 »
Flamin good point Yorkie!

I jest but its very true, so good to point it out  :D You had a lucky escape there...
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Stripey_cat

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 21:06 »
If you can seal it up completely in a plastic sack and leave it for a couple of years, it'll be fine so long as the sack doesn't degrade. 

If you have a large bucket (or a spare water butt for large amounts) with a lid, you can try drowning them.  It works best if you can crush the roots up a bit first - do you have a lawn roller you can run them over with, or pound them with the end of a post or something?

If you have somewhere suitable, you can dry the roots out, and then they'll burn better.  Stick the ash back on the land, though (as soon as it's cool), as it's mineral rich.

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 21:39 »
Sadly it doesn't give full details but a book on the uses of plants I am currently dipping into suggests that if you drown couch grass to make liquid fertiliser it has the added benefit of suppressing further growth of couch where it is watered. Anyone else heard this or put it in to practice?
However, the book also suggests that the roots have a sweet taste and can be dried and used as a flour substitute which to me sounds like pushing the bounds of credibility a bit too far.

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 23:04 »
After trying every method under the sun, I now bag my perrenial weeds (couch, dandelions etc.) into carrier bags and gradually put them out with the rubbish. I've got enough to do without crushing, drying, drowning weeds etc..and all the time, space and effort that involves. I have 2 ton bags (like you get from builders merchants) full of said weeds that still haven't rotted down after 2 years.

Btw, I am generally environmentally friendly and am organic apart from slug pellets, so I'm not being lazy. At least this way they will rot down (I don't put the carrier bags into the rubbish btw) in a big landfill somewhere.

First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 09:18 »
I now bag my perrenial weeds (couch, dandelions etc.) into carrier bags and gradually put them out with the rubbish.

Its looking like that might be the best idea - we only get a fortnightly collection so it may take me a while  >:(

If I had the time, Id find some way of drying them so they could go in the incinerator, but there are just too many to spread out anywhere.

I've only got a 1 ton bag full so I'll count myself lucky.   :blink:

Stripey_cat

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 19:54 »
Oh wow.  I've been griping over a couple of rubble-sacks full of roots. 

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 20:25 »
Oh wow.  I've been griping over a couple of rubble-sacks full of roots. 

Real men measure their weeds by the drop sack  :D  :D

Its virgin ground I've been digging - better not be more than a bucket full next year otherwise I'll cry.  :(

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 21:24 »
We take all our ground elder down to the dump to be composted. I don't trust the stuff!

xx
couch grass roots

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 17:11
by RichardA
xx
Couch, Bindweed and Mares Tale Roots.

Started by Mr Rotavator on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2016, 00:13
by al78
xx
Couch Grass

Started by mjg000 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 12:19
by moose
xx
Couch grass.

Started by Dick on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 06:07
by DD.

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 38 queries.